Red Wine in bulk

• 14 Replies

robertgiles

Red Wine in bulk
« on: September 26, 2008, 21:45 »
I have collected over the last couple of months redcurrants, blackcurrants, raspberries and blackberries can I combine them to make a bigger brew of wine or are they better doing individually, at present the fruit is in the freezer
Happily retired in Calvados Country!!

robertgiles

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 21:47 »
Also any suggested recipes would be helpful

agapanthus

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 22:59 »
Hav'nt made wine for years....and when I did it was pretty rough....but I think I would mix the lot....be lovely and fruity!! ;)

adodman

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 21:47 »
Try looking on the messageboard at www.homewinemaking.co.uk
If you look in the recipes section you should fine something to suit. If not, register with it and ask the question there.
There are some true homewinemaking experts on there.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:25 »
we quite often combine fruits to make larger batches of wine

at the mo we have strawberrys raspberrys tayberrys and loganberries all mixed

we normally put blackberries in with pineapples to take the sweetness of the pineapple

one of the best wines we have made was a mixture of fruit that was going soft we just mixed the whole lot together :D

robertgiles

How much fruit per gall
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 20:55 »
I'm going to start a mixed fruit wine, and wellcome suggestions on how much fruit per gallon and how long to leave fermenting on the fruit before straining and pressing, should the addition of sugar be left until I have pressed and decanted into fermenting vessels - looking to try a 5 or 10 gall batch

shirazcat

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:22 »
Hello Robert,
                  For a first attempt I would try making single gallons, then if disaster happens you have not wasted too great a volume of fruit etc.The volume of ingredients depends on the style of wine you wish to drink. If you are making a table wine(to drink with food) use 3 to 4 lbs of fruit & 2lbs of sugar, also add a litre of red grape juice. If you want a more full bodied wine (known in wine circle competitions as a social wine) use up to 6lbs of fruit plus 2.5 lbs of sugar & add 1 can of red grape juice concentrate, this will give a wine of fuller flavour & body. Usually you would sweeten this up after fermentation to achieve a medium taste. Just experiment, & find out what works for you. Do get a good book, look on Amazon or visit a homebrew shop (if you have one near you)

Adrian.
life is too short for work

shirazcat

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:25 »
Hello Robert,
                  Just noticed you live in France :shock:  I don`t suppose there is a homebrew shop near you :oops:
                                                     Adrian.

robertgiles

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 23:26 »
Quote from: "shirazcat"
Hello Robert,
                  Just noticed you live in France :shock:  I don`t suppose there is a homebrew shop near you :oops:
                                                     Adrian.

Many thanks for info, as you say -no homebrew shops but can get hold of red or white wine juice (not conc)  say may substitute in place of half water quantity worth a go - nothing ventured nothing lost!!

robertgiles

Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 23:29 »
Just for imfo i'm still running on C.J. Berry's winemaking books circa 1975! will let you know how I get on!!

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Red Wine in bulk
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 20:10 »
Hi, i make a summer fruit wine every year 6 gallon, using all the red fruits on the allotment. Mix them all up for a light wine 3 pound a gal. and a full bodied 4 pound a gal. I usually use about 3 1/2 pound, and a bag of sugar a gallon.

robertgiles

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 22:45 »
Well I started a 5 gallon batch and so far everything is bubbling away merrily - had a little snifter the other day very fruity smell and taste but lacking a little in the strength - i'm going to add a little sugar syrup next week, while it is still fermenting strongly........hic!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 19:02 »
c.j.berry is the homebrewers bible! Stick with him and you wont go far wrong!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

robertgiles

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 22:36 »
Update on the red wine - started off mashing 20 mixed fruit raspberries, redcurrents, blackcurrents, blackberries and whitecurrents added 5 kg sugar with about 5 litres boiling water to dissolve sugar added 5 camden tablets crushed to powder and stirred well. the next day I added gp yeast & nutrient and about 2 pints cold tea. I stirred the bucket daily making sure the pulp was well mixed on day ten I transferred to fermenting barrel after pressing the pulp and sieved through a fine muslin after 6 months the wine has practically cleared and very fruity & strong, I have added another 2 kg sugar to give it an extra bit of strength and is still bubbling away quite merrily s.g. now is about 1010 so should be ready for BBQ time in a few weeks

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 00:20 »
Just for imfo i'm still running on C.J. Berry's winemaking books circa 1975! will let you know how I get on!!

Whereas I'm still running on the same book but I reckon a 1960s edition, apparently the 10th edition it says on the inside front cover, but not dated.  It's priced at 4/6 on the front so definitely pre 1971.  All the quaint ads inside are for companies that still had 4 digit phone numbers.  I like the pictures of CJ at his brewing bench with a nice stout briar pipe clamped between his teeth.  Imagine that today.

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
bulk priming for both bottle and keg

Started by lordthanatos on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 19:27
by BobE
xx
Buying Yeast in bulk

Started by Heifer73 on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 11:26
by mike1987
xx
Fig wine

Started by sloworm on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 19:50
by sloworm

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 32 queries.