2018 abysmal failures

• 41 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: 2018 abysmal failures
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 10:14 »
Blueberry Spartan; very healthy looking plant with not a single blueberry! I re potted it last year so maybe it is just too happy in its new pot to bother flowering?

I've had two blueberry bushes for donkey's years, and the smaller of the two has always produced more berries than the larger. Last year, the smaller one had very few leaves but loads of berries, and larger one loads of leaves but hardly any fruit! I bought a third bush earlier this year with the intention of getting rid of the larger one but guess what - this year the larger one has lots of berries and the smaller one hardly any (but lots of leaves.)

Answers on a postcard please!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 11:43 »
Yesterday, I pulled up Broad Beans, not good, and too many blackfly.  Salad crops rubbish, Just been buying lettuce !Rocket has been devastated by Flea Beetles although I kept it covered.  Mrs Bouquet

Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 17:17 »
Lettuce, couldn't get the seed to germinate early on, and now the later plants are shrivelling in the heat, even with a parasol to shade them.  Raspberries suffering too with the lack of moisture. Peas have been a struggle, the pigeons attacked the emerging shoots; after comprehensive ground level mesh was installed they grew well, only for the pigeons to sit on the sticks and devastate the tops! 

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 20:35 »
My only real failure is tomatillos as I didn't realise you needed two plants for polination. Shame as I had the most beautiful small tree in the tunnel, with loads of pretty flowers on!

lettice

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 08:48 »
All mostly growing very well here and generally on a par with any year for a bumper harvest.
Peas and mangetout took a lot longer to get going, but have in last few weeks grown well and the second and third sowing has almost caught up now with the early one.

The sweet peas are now flowering as they normally do at this time, but have not reached the normal heights, only a third way up the poles.
My spinach and chard took ages to get going from seed in the ground, but finally have had a spurt last few weeks and now producing well and finally up to scratch sizewise.
All my other herbs have done well, including some chervil this year for the first time, but my Parsley is not its usual bushy plant it gets to this time of year. Some of the parsley plants are quite spindly and some of the lower outer leaves have turned yellow. Luckily its just time for sowing some more seed in a cooler area of the garden.
Broad beans have been ok and just starting to wither now. Had a good crop, they did get delayed a few weeks after that March snow, but I'd say its about 3/4 yield of what I normally get. No blackfly here for a second year running.

Whats doing well is'
My Autumn raspberries are fruit setting well and leafed high up the staked area.
Having a bumper crop of Strawberries from my own runners in pots.
Gooseberries producing well.
New potatoes are cropping well too, but two new varieties I tried (foregoing one staple I've used over the years of Pentland Javelin), Foremost and Carlingford were not the best yield, only producing 3-4lb per bag. Compared to my staple Charlotte, International Kidney, Pentland javelin and Duke of York that always yield about 10-12lb per bag and have done for the ones I've emptied this year so far.

As well as my Westland Autumn Kale I have grown for years, I'm also growing a few new varieties this year, Red devil, Fizz and Dwarf Garden. The Red devil and Fizz varieties tend to suffer through the day and bends over slightly, but after a late evening water, it recovers and is upright, ready for another hot day.
Tried some already from each variety and they are great tasters and different from my staple.

Cucumbers are now producing fruit, sweetcorn now strong 4-5 foot plants, tomatoes in greenhouse and outside all doing well for this time of year and all flowering with a few setting tomatoes.
Runner beans as ever have rampaged last few weeks and are flowering well and now little beans growing.
French Cobra beans are mad as ever and first bucket of beans will be ready to pick this weekend.
Purple Queen dwarf french beans in pots have done as well as ever and flowering nicely.
I saved some seed from my first year of growing Sonesta beans and they are doing fine in pots too. Loved those yellow beans last year, very dwarf, medium cropper, but tasty. Love how easy with beans it is to save seed :)
Turnips took their time to mature but all now fattening up nicely. A second sowing a few weeks back has just started to floursish too.
Leeks just look as they normally do this time of year, sitting proud.
Grow all my carrots, Chantenay and Touchon in pots now and eat them as baby carrots late Summer through to Winter. Always need thinning out, but all lush green and just gave a few pots a thinning with the thinnings now in another pot.

Was sad to pop round to a friends allotment, who tends to just spary water all over from height and his brassicas, tomatoes and beans all have badly scorched leaves.
He waters early morning and has done it like that for a few years. A lesson learnt I think for this year and others, but especially this hot dry spell.

lettice

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 08:56 »
Lettuce, couldn't get the seed to germinate early on, and now the later plants are shrivelling in the heat, even with a parasol to shade them. 

I always grow my Lettuce in some shade, French Mix, lollo rosso and occasionally try a few other similar varieties.
I grow mine in pots on my steps outside my back door, it tends to get a good level of shade throughout the day. Good for just come again pickings.
But I also grow some in large rectangular pots at the back end of the greenhouse under some shading under shelves, where I keep up a supply of All Year round lettuce.

AnneB

Re: 2018 abysmal failure
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 17:42 »
Two more failures to report.  I sowed 2 yellow courgettes of different varieties, plus an early straightneck summer squash and 2 romano variety courgettes.  All very sturdy healthy plants coming along nicely.
Week before last 1 of the romanos collapsed and seemed to have been snapped off at the base.  I put this down to Storm Hector.   This week the second romano did the same thing.  It seemed to have been severed at the base, but there has been not a drop of wind.   My first thought is perhaps a chafer grub, but I didn't notice any culprit nearbt.
Worried about the remaining ones now happily producing in the same bed.   My kind neighbour had a spare plant and I have popped that into a new bed.  Never had this problem before.  Feeling vexed.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 17:43 »
Looks like it is going to be my Setanta and Vivaldi potatoes as one by one they succumb to blackleg. T&M have confirmed the diagnosis after I sent them pictures. If you are growing these T&M potatoes I suggest that you check them over carefully.

jaydig

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 08:28 »
I am so excited to be able to announce a 100% increase in my parsnip crop.   I now have four parsnips in a 30' row instead of just two!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 08:44 »
I am so excited to be able to announce a 100% increase in my parsnip crop.   I now have four parsnips in a 30' row instead of just two!

::)  :lol:

Its that kind of year isn't it Jaydig  ::)

I've had sweetcorn and squash just not doing much.  I've just posted in the What I Did thread to say how I've given up with some things and relegated them to the compost.  There is corn going well on the plot and I have some strong plants at home I am going to try and plant today to fill gaps - assuming I can dig a hole for them  ::)  There are also squash growing away, but a much reduced quantity and number of types to my usual summer collection  :(

I has spinach go straight to seed this year, but that's always a risk when you have a sudden leap in temperatures.  Most of the rest is doing OK, but is needing a lot of watering.

Anton

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 10:01 »
kohlrabi. Not getting enough water now I have to transport it down to the allotment in a barrel because the ones over there are completely empty.

Anton

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 17:35 »
Growing Kohlrabi for the first time but it's looking not too bad at the mo.
Failures. Broad beans usually start in pots early and beat the blackfly but they were early too. have managed to get a few Parsnips in the end, they are still very small. Carrots. Got about half dozen with a few from (many) later sowing coming on.
Strawberries were fantastic and the courgettes (yellow and green) have started pumping out (ahh why did I plant so many ??) also loads of lettuce have started to go to seed as cannot keep up.
It has been a funny year for me as broke my wrist mid March so was no driving and one handed gardening for a while so overjoyed to have anything
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 22:34 »
Its been a difficult year as the dry weather has caused germination problems (few carrots and parsnips) the onions are small but the biggest problem are the deer causing a lot of damage lost the swiss chard and most of the beetroots damage to the beans etc. however as its in my garden its countered by the sight of mum and young fawn comming in for a munch .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 04:38 »
Not a good year for me so far, and because of the heat and dryness I have now resorted to starting summer sowing in pots at home where I can water them regularly and hope that once it rains I can get them in the ground.
Having said that, my brassicas have surprised me, a!l types are dealing with the drought well.

jaydig

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 15:18 »
Went to the plot this morning, and found a stray packet of parsnip seed of a different variety and supplier from what I have already sown. Now I know it's very late in the season, but the seed won't be any good next year, so I soaked along where I had previous sowed three prior batches of parsnip seed, then made the drills in which to sow this fourth attempt.  There, in the drills were all the seed I had previously sown, looking exactly as it did when I put it in.  Anyway, they're sown now, and after this I really will give up for this season. If these come up at all I'll put the previous failures down to a bad batch of seed.

xx
fed up with failures

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 09:47
by potatogrower
smiley
Failures.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:16
by Will1983
xx
Carrot failures

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 20:16
by Anton
xx
Remembering successes and failures?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 10:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 52 queries.