Your 2016 successes

• 16 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Your 2016 successes
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:37 »
Someone suggested this to balance the 2016 disappointment thread and it sounded like a good idea to me  :D

I've been very happy with the following, in a year that has not been an easy one for growing :

Apples - loads
Quince - ditto
Tomatoes - loads of sauce in the freezer and eaten tons fresh over the summer
Sweetcorn - we ate loads and there is a bit in the freezer for enjoying later
Drying beans - did much better than the fresh green beans and supplies are laid in for the winter
Greens - I've been trying to get to the stage where I have them almost year round and it seems to have finally happened. 
Cabbage - got loads of summer ones, the autumn ones are filling out and looking good and the winter stalwarts are doing well so far.
Squash - slow start but they came good and the shed is filling up  :D

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Your 2016 successes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:04 »
Apples, far too many
Pears, first year I've grown them. Well pleased with the dozen Conference in tree's first harvest
Celeriac. Surpassed all expectations both in terms of size and also quality, will last all winter
Strawberries, great crop as ever
Chiogga, will last throughout the winter
Tomatoes in greenhouse
Butternut squash in polytunnel

p6t6

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:09 »
Tomatoes, collecting pretty much every other day. I've made lots of sauces because I couldn't keep up with using them, even when sharing with friends and family. Blight only arrived a short time a go and so have picked the remaining green ones and left on the windowsill to hopefully go red.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 16:18 »
Strawberries, raspberries, sweet corn, tomatoes, butternut squash, cucumber and celeriac.

lettice

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 16:51 »
Raspberries have gone mad, just keep picking bowls daily.
Potatoes did very well this year, earlies, second earlies and the maincrop.
Tomatoes added a good 25% increase for some varieties. A good year for all of them.
Cucumbers now after a mid season lapse has gone mad again, great crop.
Runner beans still going strong and have cropped well.
Sweetcorn must have really enjoyed the dry sunny spells, as best ever crop.
Peas did very well this year too.
In pots, baby carrots and turnips have had a good year.
Spinach, Chard and Kale never fails and has had a good year and still growing well.
Sprouts. leeks and parsnips all  growing well.

Although there have been loads of them, most now in the nematode bucket for next year. The warm and dry weather has certainly stopped the slugs coming out in droves and heading for the crops. Found plenty to pick off from under stones, pots and in the traps.
Seen very little damage this year.
Not seen many snails this year at all.

Edit: Oh I forgot my beetroot, Chioggoa, detroit (deep red), golden, albina and a few others all did very well and still growing large.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:20 by lettice »

Flowertot

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 23:43 »
Potatoes have been fantastic, blueberries and raspberries very good, onions great, parsnips - just started picking them and it's a great crop.  :)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 06:08 »
"Someone suggested this to balance the 2016 disappointment thread and it sounded like a good idea to me"

Great plan, News - as usual!

Best onions from sets ever!
Rasps in abundance throughout the season, and still going.
Best second earlies ever, but first earlies slugged to death.
Leeks motoring now. Too many as usual.
Peas - mediocre, but enough for the two of us.
Pumpkins - six and far too many so spread around the family - not literally you understand...
Garlic - small but very good.
Courgettes! I mean, if you have just three plants, how many 'friends' do you need at the height of the season...
Tomatoes mostly escaped blight, thanks to aspirin, and also a couple of strange morphed 'Crimson Crush' from last year's seed, as they keep on belting away - even now!
Cucumbers took over the greenhouse, as did Mrs Growster's chillis...
Broad beans - just the right amount for the freezer (for once).
Too many runners as usual.
Ditto blackcurrants.
Sweetcorn - out of this world, and enough beetroot to take now and not preserve!
Salad stuff in all directions too...

Probably the best year we've had!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:55 »
After an uncertain start to the summer season everything performed really well apart from the shallots (even managed to pick ripe sweetcorn by the end of August and some of them had 2 cobs per plant - very unusual here.)  :)

My tomato crop was astonishing - I've still got tomatoes in the GH but neither the freezer space nor the inclination to make yet more sauces!

Courgette gluts always cause slight amusement on these forums, but I have to say that 'Defender' have never delivered enough to caused actual embarrassment for me.

This year I tried 'Green Bush' (pic below taken this morning) -  believe it or not that is a single plant, 8' across and still producing fruits (not a plant for square foot gardeners.)

Crown Prince squashes tried to take over the entire garden - the fruit in the foreground is 13" across (seems to think it's Henry VIII rather than a Crown Prince!)  :ohmy:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 16:32 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

18Forts1999

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 12:11 »
Mornin All
My successes this year included:
2nd Earlies  (1st earlies eaten by slugs)
Tomatoes  have made red & green tomato chutney only 1 jar at a time (don't want to overdo it ::)
Lollo Rosso grew to about 9inches but used them as cut & come again (kept us going for weeks OH got fed up with it)
Onions both red & white
Runners and I only had 4 plants
Blackcurrants went into jam and the freezer
Peas very good too  First time I have grown these for years, so will do so again next year!
Strawberries - well most never left the allotment :lol:
Oh and mus'nt forget the sweet peas - a vase full is much cheaper than buying air freshener

andimac

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 12:00 »
Potatoes: Excellent 1st earlies, plenty of tasty maincrop too which even the mice (annoyingly) liked the taste of.
Broad beans: Plenty, loads now in the freezer with some dried and ready for next year's planting.
Peas: Really good crop but lost a few from an (utterly) inadequate support structure- lesson learned!
Onions: Some very good large onions and a few smaller ones.
Cauliflower: Really pleased with them.
Carrots: Not the prettiest but they were quite large and tasted fabulous in the many soups.
Rhubarb: far too much.
Apples: dessert apples just coming into their own now and cookers are on the tree poised to fall.
Plums: Despite losing about a third, there has been more than enough for jam, chutney and plum rum.
Raspberries: bit of a mixed bag as I lost several healthy looking plants but then the others were prolific.
Tomatoes: still letting the last of the Moneymakers ripen but plenty of them.
Strawberries: a huge amount of fruit but an equally huge number of fruit chewed by slugs...

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 16:59 »
Beetroot have been good this year, here in North Derbyshire , potatoes , broad beans and for the first time in I don't know how many years , I have onions heading to the kitchen , well happy!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

chillimummy

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 17:25 »
Bit hit and miss this year for me but lots of strawberries from marshmello plants and lots of big raspberries.
Cabbages and sprouts looking great and lots of butternut squash although bit small.
Never grown fennel before but every plant has grown good size root so really pleased and picked a couple today to try roasting.
Charlottes were great but desiree badly slug damaged.
Tomatoes have been late ripening but amazing how many I have had as only second year having a greenhouse and last year was late putting greenhouse up and planting.
Next year have lots of different tomatoe seeds to try so looking forward to that  :)   

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

LILLILEAF

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 08:55 »
Morning all
 My runner beans variety was Lady Di,beautiful flowers and lots of beans,i have 10lbs in the freezer :).

oldgrunge

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 19:43 »
Raspberries, especially the summer ones very prolific.
Courgettes green and yellow.
Broad, runner, and French beans, freezer and neighbours full, saving for seed now.
Tomatoes, one of the best seasons ever.
Cucumbers, loads, but finishing now.
Garlic very disappointing, due to a very, very wet autumn 2016.
First early potatoes poor.
Lettuce, lots of germination problems.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 19:54 »
Onions from sets, great crop, so far just 1 or 2 have rotted in storage. Strawberries, fantastic,1 row in particular, all from Lidl plants last year. Autumn raspberries still cropping. Beetroot fantastic. Radish grew to humungous size, not a lot of use but huge. Some Mooli radish flowered beginning of September when it was supposed to be ready, still got some ready to eat now though. Sweetcorn, plenty of cobs from 24 plants.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Successes!

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 20:46
by LivvyW
xx
Brilliant successes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 20:58
by Madame Cholet
xx
Allium successes and failures

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:39
by Chiswickian
xx
Remembering successes and failures?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 10:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 34 queries.