Leftovers used yet?

• 30 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Leftovers used yet?
« on: December 30, 2012, 18:04 »
Got a bit of cheese left and a bit of pork pie, but the fridge is otherwise a Christmas leftover-free zone.

Cooked some sweet and spicy red cabbage today and made stock from the turkey bones - both now stashed in the freezer ready for another day.

I like to get the kitchen clear for the New Year - fresh start and all that  :)  How you lot doing with the festive leftovers  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leftovers used yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 18:09 »
All chicken casseroled with lots of veg and frozen in portions, all the chocolates and cakes eaten or farmed out to those who can afford to eat them for another few days  :lol:
There's enough ham for lunchtime sandwiches tomorrow and that's it  ;)

Healthy eating starts again!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 18:35 »
I froze the remaining ham a couple of days ago portioned, some sliced for sandwiches/rolls and some in chunks for a pie or something. :) All the sweet stuff that we don't normally have anyway is gone. Didn't have a turkey, they seemed dear, we weren't going to eat it on the day and it would have been for the freezer which is well stocked with other goodies at the moment. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 19:44 »
Just some cheese left now, that I will grate up and freeze in bags and use for adding to sauces of for toppings with breadcrumbs.

Like you New Shoot, new year needs a fresh start for the fridge (apart from  veggies not yet cooked of course)  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 20:32 »
Slightly concerned I may have left the leftovers in the fridge too long. 

There's still the chicken (cooked on Christmas Day) and the chicken stock (cooked later that day and forgot to put away into the fridge for 36 hours) ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 20:43 »
Turkey carcase stewed on Boxing day,some stock made into turkey soup with leftover veggies with a Christmas cajun spice mix-some eaten,some given to Mum to take home & some in the freezer for work lunches. Left over turkey,gravy,breadsauce,cranberry sauce & sausage meat stuffings all in the freezer for quick dinners on work days. Chocolates not started yet. Half of huge Christmas cake given to Mum when she went home,not had any myself yet-might freeze it as I lost 5lb over Christmas so want to try & keep it going.Cheeses not touched but have long dates,might just have a sample in a minute or two!! for pud.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yana

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 21:03 »
Sliced and vacuum packed the remaining turkey butterfly, ditto the beef.
Fridge now contains haggis, turnips and potatoes as well as corned beef, onion and beef dripping as OH is cooking New Year's Day dinner a la Scottish style.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Spana

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 21:25 »
Turkey carcass stewed up yesterday and finished the soup that some of the stock made today, rest of the stock frozen. Bit of Christmas cake left and the bottom layer of a big box of Thorntons put away for when my grandchildren come at half term.
 With so many people hungry I'm ashamed to say I feel stuffed.

sarajane

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 23:14 »
We had duck for Christmas day and beef and chicken for boxing day.  Had a duck and beef curry yesterday and tonight I've made a load of chicken and veg soup, most of which is in tubs in the freezer to be taken to work for lunch. 

I always overdo on the veg and have several portions of bubble and squeck also in the freezer.

Loads of cheese and an unopened big pork pie which will go down tomorrow evening which  I will be counting on our friends to devour.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 23:34 »
The nice thing about turkey butterfly is there really isn't any waste at all. Any that we didn't manage to eat on Christmas or Boxing Day was used to make a turkey curry a couple of days later. I always think cauliflower cheese makes a perfect companion for cold turkey and stuffing on Boxing Day. I seem to be getting better at not making too much these days, though I'm not very good at doing anything with leftover veggies, which tend to be thrown away.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 00:06 »
Why don't you make soup with them?

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41 »
Even though we had a 16 lb turkey, after the kids took some meat home and we had turkey the next night, then we made soup with leftovers, it all went very quickly. The dog complained bitterly that she got next to nothing.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 08:35 »
Slightly concerned I may have left the leftovers in the fridge too long. 

There's still the chicken (cooked on Christmas Day) and the chicken stock (cooked later that day and forgot to put away into the fridge for 36 hours) ...

What did you decide to do?  I would have been feeling a bit unsure about eating either of those as well.  There are limits to my food thrift mania  :)

Why don't you make soup with them?

Now that I do agree with.  Leftover veg can be transformed with a few fresh additions, herbs and a decent stock  :D

madcat

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 08:48 »
We finished the chicken cooked on Christmas eve (and fridged since) last night and are fine!   :blink:

The stock - put it in a pan and give it a good fast boil for 3 - 5 mins to kill off any nasties, cool fast and fridge/freeze.  It will be fine.

And soup is excellent healthy eating ...   :unsure: until I find the end of the carton of cream and my hand slips just as the soup is ready to be served!  Ooops!  :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Thrift

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22 »
We had a bit of a disaster on Christmas day.

First we were supplied, in error, with a 14lb turkey for two people! Then the aga dipped and was not nearly hot enough - I blamed this on a new oil delivery - so the turkey took for ever to cook and the roast veg wouldn't crisp.  :(

Disappointing dinner all round. I removed one breast and the drumsticks and thighs which went into the freezer and the next day we had reheated turkey, gravy and lovely roast veg and sprouts. The real deal albeit a day late.  ;)

Very strangely my twin brother had exactly the same experience, low cooker heat, soggy roasts, etc. with his Christmas dinner. He and SIS were staying with their daughter in Chicago where the cooker in her apartment has a mind of it's own. Rather spooky that!!

xx
Leftovers

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 09:08
by arugula
xx
Christmas leftovers

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 18:23
by mumofstig
xx
Quince leftovers help

Started by Chazs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 20:08
by Chazs
xx
Favourite leftovers recipe - what's yours?

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 13:42
by cheshirecheese

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.