Last year's leeks

• 7 Replies

Zippy

Last year's leeks
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:37 »
Hi. I have a number of last year's leeks that didn't quite make the size I would have liked. They are about 1/2 inch thick and a foot tall. Otherwise they appear to be quite healthy plants.

Can I leave them in the ground, maybe sink them into deeper holes to blanch until summer this year, or will they just bolt.

If the flower spike appears can I remove this and get the plants to produce more bulb/leaves?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Last year's leeks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:01 »
you can try or do as I do and make leek and taty soup with them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

compostqueen

Last year's leeks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:54 »
Mine are still in cos too cold to go and fetch em (nesh I am) but mine will be turned into leek and tater soup with the stored Desirees I've still got in the outhouse

Think by now they'd best be eaten, leaving room for a fresh crop of something else

Earl Grey

Last year's leeks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:48 »
I had the same problem , I dug all mine up as I needed the space, but I'm also wondering if I could of moved them. Found this tip you might find interesting;

"Don't throw out leek roots -- replant them. In just 60 to 90 days, you'll harvest a second bunch of long, thick stalks just as tasty and tender as the first ones. You can even use roots of leeks bought at the grocery store, giving you, in effect, two leeks for the price of one."
(http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/monthlytips/february/notefebv.html)

I've not tried this  yet myself but I am going to give it a go.

compostqueen

Last year's leeks
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:26 »
yeah I saw that on telly, heeling them in where you have a spare corner of the plot or garden  :D

Trillium

Last year's leeks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 18:55 »
The root cuttings will give you a 2nd cropping, but the whole plant will just go to seed this year if left. It's inevitable - leeks seed biennially as do most plants. Harvest them while they're still nice.

Zippy

Last year's leeks
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:02 »
I cut an inch above the root ends and planted them about an inch deep.

The rest will go into soup this weekend with some root veggies.

Will let you know what happens to the root cuttings.

gobs

Last year's leeks
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34 »
Quote from: "Earl Grey"
I had the same problem , I dug all mine up as I needed the space, but I'm also wondering if I could of moved them. Found this tip you might find interesting;

"Don't throw out leek roots -- replant them. In just 60 to 90 days, you'll harvest a second bunch of long, thick stalks just as tasty and tender as the first ones. You can even use roots of leeks bought at the grocery store, giving you, in effect, two leeks for the price of one."
(http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/monthlytips/february/notefebv.html)

I've not tried this  yet myself but I am going to give it a go.

It's not necessary to replant though, they just bulk up in spring, like winter onions.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Leeks for April and May (next year)

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 09:23
by Snoop
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
xx
small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 29 queries.