Keeping Chicken Warm

• 4 Replies

JMF

Keeping Chicken Warm
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:37 »
Any ideas for keeping our five girls warm in their framebow coop over the winter months  have of course increased bedding and stopped draughts- anyone used a heat lamp and if so how do you go about it.  Thanks

Casey76

Re: Keeping Chicken Warm
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:51 »
chickens don't need heat lamps.  As long as they are in a draft free environment they will be warm enough - remember they are walking round in their own feather blanket all the time.

I currently have 8 chickens roosting in a bare tree (at more than 20 feet up they are too high for me to retrieve) and it's not doing them any harm!

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:54 »
You sound as if you have done all the correct things but make sure there is adequate ventilation for the birds...ventilation yes...draughts no.....

I remember seeing a fantastic picture taken by a camera that picks up heat showing the heat loss from a hen somewhere on here but I'm afraid I cannot find it. It was a fabulous picture the hens are so well insulated by their feathers.

If you are concerned some people give warm porridge on really cold days, made with water not milk but I'm not so kind although they will get porridge if I do but that's a rare occasion. Make sure they have plenty of pellets add lib all day and a handful of corn, mixed corn, or maize about an hour before bed time. These are all 'warming' grains and will give them a nice little extra boost to keep them going over night.

Hopefully someone else will be able to put up the picture for you, it really is wonderful and will allay any concerns you may have.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:56 »
PS View the corn like chocolate for children. Not for breakfast! :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07 »
Like Casey I also have chickens and guineas living in the trees the odd couple of tree dwellers have been sensible and moved into the laurels as they have the protection of the densness and the leaves but the others are in bare cherry and field maple trees. One is even sleeping on top of a lorry engine under the laurels. Last year one of my silkie crosses Claudette slept in the laurels all winter through the snow. Their own feather duvets work very well  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Keeping hens warm

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 20:18
by muntjac
xx
keeping chooks warm

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 20:52
by shaun
xx
Ducks - Keeping Them Warm!!!!!!!

Started by darrena on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:55
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
thermal image of hen keeping warm

Started by SMD66 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 18:09
by Foghorn-Leghorn

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 40 queries.