New member with chicken crop/neck/throat proiblem - advice please

• 15 Replies

richienat

Re: New member with chicken crop/neck/throat proiblem - advice please
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 11:56 »
Hi all.

Panic over.....and with it the first of my chicken dramas....phew!

Yesterday she was still a little dopey when she got up, although she spent the morning a little more upright than when I first saw the problem.  She was less puffed out, and with dramatically less issues with her crop and neck. She still sat and chilled alot in one place.  After a morning in the South West sunshine, she was perky and ready to fight the other 2 off for the worms I brought down to the coop - seems to be 100% back on form!

I have come to the conclusion that it was an eggbound problem after all, and that the throat issue which I thought was something stuck was actually her straining and pushing and being a little contorted (this has stopped now!).

What have I learnt? - well,  a number of things -

Firstly, although  I started off by thinking that they were only chickens, I am now well and truely attached to the 3 of them.

Secondly, that actually they are fairly hardy things and can often sort themselves out.  We all feel under the weather from time to time!

Thirdly, that all three of them love home grown cucumber covered in yogurt and olive oil (thought that might help any crop issues!)

Fourthly, and quite useful, is that one of my wife's colleagues used to work for the RSPCA as a welfare officer.  He mentioned that alot of vets will issue antibiotics at realtively little cost, which means that anyone worried about spending a fortune on vets bills need not always worry.  Chat to them without obligation!

Finally - that its a little more active and helpful on this forum than the River Cottage site - so I'll be recommending to my fellow chicken keepers!

Thanks - here's to problem free chicken keeping!   :)

xx
Hen making gurgling noise, stretches neck sometimes, lump in throat

Started by SamT on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 23:16
by barley
xx
neck stretching & squashy enlarged crop?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:23
by lucylou
xx
chicken with wonky neck

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 13:06
by Fannyann
xx
neck stretching chicken!!!

Started by chesh on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 21:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 40 queries.