The worlds most sickly chickens.

• 13 Replies

Lardman

« on: November 26, 2008, 09:57 »
I swear I've got them.  :(

Yesterday Dinner wasn't herself, I later found a shell less egg in the run. I assumed it was hers and it had just put her off her game.

This morning she looks terrible. shes hunched, her comb is floppy and has a blue tint at the tip and shes just standing there motionless. Her crop does feel hard and a little extended - so I was going to assume it is impacted. I dont have a syringe of anything similar, whats the best way to get oil down her?

She wasnt too impressed with the unoiled massage I tried to give her.

Vember

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:07 »
Hi Lardman

Sorry to hear your girl isn't well :(

Firstly have you read through all the info on crop problems here
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345
From what your saying I pressume the crop felt full before she'd had any food??

I would use a tea spoon to get oil into her or maybe if you had one a section of drinking straw pre filled with oil - hold it above the open beak and it MIGHT be a bit less messy :?

Sarah :D

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:53 »
Thanks Sarah - I dont think shes ever been right to be honest.  :(

I've tried the olive oil down a glass tub but she refused to open her beak. I've even tried dropping it on beak incase she'd "lick her lips", but no go. These things just aren't easy with only 1 pair of hands.

I've given her crop a good massage and now it feel rather like a water filled balloon with bits in.   She does have a hard lump higher up her neck, I assume this is her asophagus (sp)  I've not seen her eat or drink now for 24 hours.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 13:46 »
If it feels like a watery balloon then it sounds like it might be sour crop :(
Does her breath smell???
Did you see this bit in the link I put up ??

Sour crop

If the crop is very soft and feels like a water filled balloon, this is called a sour crop. It is caused by a fungal infection and all the extra liquid is the body’s reaction to the fungus. In this case the crop contents will smell awful, so another way to confirm this is the problem is to smell the chicken’s breath, which can be done at anytime of the day. Sometimes a hen my regurgitate some of the contents of the crop.

You can get rid of some of the fluid by making the chicken sick. If you do this you need to be very careful so the chicken doesn’t choke as the fluid comes back. You should hold her upside down away from you, head downwards, and gently pushing with your hand from the bottom of the crop upwards towards the chicken’s head. Do several small attempts, rather than one big one.

Then feed you hen live, bio yogurt. Most chickens, given the chance, will eat this directly. If she will not eat it give a teaspoon or two (5-10 ml) by syringe daily. And feed soft nutritious food. If this treatment does not help after a few days, or if the chicken’s health is deteriorating in any other way, a vet can prescribe an anti-fungal drugs. If sour crop is left undetected or untreated long term there can be irreversible damage to the lining of the crop.

Putting Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water and garlic in their feed are very good for the digestion and can help to prevent problems.

It isn't easy on your own :( Times like this I wish I owned a Tardis I'd be there like a shot to give you a hand :)

Sarah :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 15:49 »
:cry:  She died this afternoon.

I was massaging her crop at the time so Im a little concerned it was me either being heavy handed or if she suffocated on her own vomit :(

Gutted.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 16:05 »
Oh Lardman,

I'm so sorry  :cry:
You did all you could :(

Sorry I couldn't have been more help

Sarah  :(

Arielf

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 16:16 »
Lardman ::hugs:; so not your fault. These things just happen sometimes.
The only way to have a friend is to be one. -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spadefighter

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 17:21 »
Sorry to hear that Lardman :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 19:16 »
Lardman I'm so soryy about your Dinner after all you did for her, sometimes it's just not enough.
It is not your fault, trust me is it hard enough to kill then when you mean to, you won't have done it accidentally.
At least she died with someone who cared enough to be trying to save her.

Hugs and I hope the others remain well.

Kate
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Hawkins

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 20:00 »
So sorry to hear your news, really sad. At least you did as much as you could for her and she had a good innings.

Hugs from us here.  :cry:

Em
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 20:16 »
Thanks all.

Im surprised how attached I'd become to her in just 3 months. Breakfast and Lunch look a little lost now shes gone.

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 20:43 »
Awww what a shame! Really sorry about Dinner -she was a lovely little character!

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 16:41 »
Nothing that you did caused this so rest assured. The blueish tint of her comb suggests that she had either a heart or respritory condition that starved her of oxygen. Kinda like the blue fingernails when an asthmatic has an attack. I'm sorry for your loss.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 17:11 »

Hi Lardman

I think Dinner is the black bird in the picture above.  I've compared her to the other bird and to the white one in your other picture and I feel in this picture she may be showing some signs of not being as well as the other two.

Depending on the time of day and how much they had eaten of course her crop looks large and her head pulled in.  She may have had a sluggish crop and digestion all along.

xx
Sickly hen

Started by PFMarconi on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:33
by mad chicken
xx
Sickly Chicken

Started by bannisterb on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:01
by ANHBUC
xx
Sickly Pullet

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 10:28
by muntjac
xx
Sickly chicken

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 17:36
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.