zinnia

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

zinnia
« on: June 23, 2020, 21:43 »
I recently got into hot water for spoiling the wife's zinnia plants she grew them from seed and they where lovely plants but this is where things go wrong she asked me to prick out the plants into pots no problem then when they started  dying of the brown stuff hit the fan :mad: because i hadn't pricked them out properly  :ohmy:

so I  looked up growing zinnia and it said zinnia do best from direct sowings in pots because they hate root disturbance and would you believe it Monty Don pricked out some zinnia plants into pots in his G/W again another ear bashing so to my friends who grow zinnia's do they do best growing the seed directly in pots or am i to heavy handed pricking out the zinnia plants  :unsure:

maybe I should stick to pricking out brassicas and  planting potatoes Il tell you about the compost disaster i made a bit later  :blush:

jezza

Re: zinnia
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 22:15 »
Hello we used to sow Zinnias in either Jiffy 7 peat plugs or 1 inch diameter pots when big enough to pot on the Jiffy 7s went straight in to 3 inch pots when it came to potting on the ones in 1 inch pots a 1 inch dibber was used to make the holes in pots and the plant popped in with little root disturbance  jezza

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 22:46 »
I agree with Jezza, if you have a plant that is sensitive to root disturbance, best to get them started in either plug cells or pots and pot them on when ready rather than pricking out.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 15:04 »
My wife pricks them out every year never no problems
pipfit

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 08:09 »
thanks all for that advise anything for a quiet life  :D but that really does make good sense to grow zinnia those ways

xx
Zinnia?

Started by mrswashi on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 07:07
by Sweetpea C
xx
Zinnia

Started by casper on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2022, 20:59
by casper
xx
Zinnia

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 13:23
by JayG
xx
zinnia

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 21:58
by casper

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 32 queries.