asparagus question

• 3 Replies

prakash_mib

asparagus question
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:04 »
I just thought that I might grow some asparagus this year (and for future) I dont want them to spread all over the plot. so planning to dig sort of 4 square feet hole, wall it with plastic/weed membrane and refill it back to make it a bed. now the question is can/should I do that?
if yes how deep should the wall be?

:)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: asparagus question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17 »
Individual asparagus plants don't spread themselves in the same way that plants like raspberries do, although they could potentially seed themselves if you have male and female plants (not a big problem though in practice I've found.)

There's therefore no need to try and contain them, just be aware that after 5 years or more you should have an underground root system at least 5' across!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 16:22 »
Roots 5' across???? Crikey!!! My 10 plants are in a 2' high raised bed roughly 4' by 20'. Depending on your soil that is the best option if it is heavy, and I would add grit for drainage. Is your hole 4' x 4' - look on here for your planting distances (just forgotten now) - depends on how many you want - you may need a bigger hole especially as has been said that they don't spread. I resisted harvesting a spear off each plant last year (2nd year in the ground) but this year ...mmmmm!!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 21:08 »
I just thought that I might grow some asparagus this year (and for future) I dont want them to spread all over the plot. so planning to dig sort of 4 square feet hole, wall it with plastic/weed membrane and refill it back to make it a bed. now the question is can/should I do that?
if yes how deep should the wall be?

:)

You shouldn't do that. They are not gonna spread in any way or fashion.

Just plant them in deep deep enough trench for roots. End of.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus question

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 22:13
by Trillium
xx
Asparagus question

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 10:19
by Apostrophes
xx
Asparagus question

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 15:19
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 35 queries.