asparagus question

• 14 Replies

nickyveglover

asparagus question
« on: November 04, 2008, 19:48 »
This might seem a little silly but have planted a new asparagus bed,can I plant anything in there until it grows as it will be a long time coming through. thanks
nicola nesbitt

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
asparagus question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 20:18 »
I'd like to know as well as I've just done the same. Maybe something like lettuce or radishes come Spring?

Trillium

asparagus question
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 20:47 »
You could do some radishes and perhaps small lettuces for a year or so but not near the plant itself. Once in the ground, the new root systems will quickly spread and you really don't want to set them back with disturbance.

Bombers

asparagus question
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 22:15 »
My next door neighbour happily plants carrotts in amongst her asparagus bed... seems to werk for her :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
asparagus question
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 22:18 »
on a similar note.... when can I cut back my newly planted (ie crowns were put in in May-ish and have had long ferny bits ever since, albeit a bit fallen over now  :roll: ) plants?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
asparagus question
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 22:20 »
If they're brown like mine - NOW!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
asparagus question
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 22:21 »
no they are (or at least were at the weekend) still green.....  I'm tempted to cut them down now and top dressing with some well rotted manure but don't want to risk any future stems

Salmo

asparagus question
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 23:18 »
I also planted asparagus crowns this Spring.

I have grown an excellent crop of lettuce between them but I would imaging the ferns will be too shady next year. It is probably more important to spend time making sure there are no weeds, especially perrennial weeds like bindweed, thistle, couch grass.

If the ferns are still green they are building up energy in the roots for next year. As they die back nutrients such as potash flow back into the roots also. Once they are yellow cut them back to about 2 inches so you can still see where they are.

Mine were 2 year old Gijnlim crowns. The instructions that came with them said that you should pull soil from between the rows to form a ridge covering the crowns by about 4 inches. Every year you build this up with soil and manure or compost. Interestingly it also said that with this variety I can pick for about 3 weeks next Spring. Most varieties you must wait another year before picking any.

Trillium

asparagus question
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:00 »
Despite several hard frosts my asparagus plants are still green. I never bother cutting them down for winter as they take so long to die back, but I feel it's better for them. Come spring I'm out early and clean up the garden and the new shoots are coming out. I think the dead tops act as a bit of mulch for the roots.

Bombers...if your neighbour is planting carrots between her plants, then she's obviously spaced them a lot farther than most people do.

muntjac

asparagus question
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51 »
leave the ferns till spring ,they offer some protection for the crowns .take them down to ground level in spring clear all weeds ( i used roundup )and add lime to the soil about 1oz to a sq yard. and then top dress with well rotted manure as a slow feed and a weed suppressant around the crowns not on them ,if the new spears hit a lump of manure they will bend and mishape ....check all my " sparrow grass" tips on this site , just type asparagus and my id in the search function at the top of this page :wink:
still alive /............

Bombers

asparagus question
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:05 »
Quote from: "Trillium"

Bombers...if your neighbour is planting carrots between her plants, then she's obviously spaced them a lot farther than most people do.

That makes sense. They do seem to be well spaced! :)
I haven't got room for an asparagus bed. :(

Trillium

asparagus question
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 15:21 »
Bombers, if you haven't room for an asparagus bed, then grow an asparagus clump. You can closely space about 4 crowns in a tight circle and let them grow that way. Its always better to have something than nothing, and the plants can become a garden feature.

Bombers

asparagus question
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 16:05 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Bombers, if you haven't room for an asparagus bed, then grow an asparagus clump. You can closely space about 4 crowns in a tight circle and let them grow that way. Its always better to have something than nothing, and the plants can become a garden feature.

Now that sounds like a good idea! :D Thanks for that

happy chick

• Experienced Member
asparagus question
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 17:45 »
Top tip Trills; might try that meself :wink:
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

nickyveglover

asparagus question
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 23:08 »
thanks for all the replies very useful. Will try lettuce in spring

xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Another asparagus question

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 10:22
by blackisgreen
xx
sorry-another Asparagus question

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:51
by Babstreefern
xx
asparagus question

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 22:13
by Trillium

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 38 queries.