New mother hen with possible scaly leg mites

• 3 Replies

TashaH

New mother hen with possible scaly leg mites
« on: September 03, 2015, 21:45 »
Hi all :)

I noticed today that my hen (with 1 mth old chick) has raised, darker coloured scales on the bottom of her leg, her front ankle part basically. 

What would be the best form of treatment for her, which wont cause any health issues to her or the chick? The chick, from what I can see, has no problems, and neither do my 2 other girls as they have been separated since hen went broody. Dip her legs in oil? Vaseline? It will be a nightmare to treat her as I can barely get near her as she is so protective of chick!

Many thanks in advance :)

Beekissed

Re: New mother hen with possible scaly leg mites
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 23:29 »
I've found a liberal coat and massage with castor oil to be a great, one time treatment that not only works as a natural insecticide, but also soothes the discomfort and inflammation, while acting as an antibacterial all at the same time. It also has the wonderful effect of speeding the growth of new, healthy scale to replace the affected scales.  Even works on long standing infestation. 

TashaH

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 23:49 »
I've found a liberal coat and massage with castor oil to be a great, one time treatment that not only works as a natural insecticide, but also soothes the discomfort and inflammation, while acting as an antibacterial all at the same time. It also has the wonderful effect of speeding the growth of new, healthy scale to replace the affected scales.  Even works on long standing infestation.
Thanks for the advice, will treat her a.s.a.p ... Just hope I do not freak her and chickpea out too much! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:22 »
If you wait until they have settled for the night, you can lift the mother hen out of the coop and she will be much quieter and easier to handle  :)

xx
Scaly leg mites

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 14:01
by ANHBUC
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
scaly leg

Started by kanu on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:34
by TeaPots
xx
scaly leg?

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 21:45
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 40 queries.