eggs again!!

• 8 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
eggs again!!
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:46 »
one of my ladys started laying again 3 or 4 days before Christmas now i was to beleive they dont lay in the winter can any one shed light on this please

alaj

Re: eggs again!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:02 »
Hiya
Mine are laying too at the mo,I've got 7 chooks,and get between 3 and 5 eggs per day which is quite nice  :blink:
I think we've had it relatively mild here in Sussex so maybe that's helping?
A
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

chicken george25

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 14:33 »
your very lucky got my girls in august and one 1 out of 5 started laying in late november she layed for about a week/ week and a half then stopped. and havent had eggs since, however evry bird and breed is different generally chickens dont lay eggs in winter so count your self lucky lol :0)

kimtwig

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 14:45 »
I have about 40 young hens at the moment and none of them were laying.  I,put it down to their age, just as they would have started laying the clocks went back(that usually stops them). About 3 weeks ago i got the odd egg - these days i am getting on average 25 eggs a day.  I don't quite understand it but hey, lets just go with the flow.  Anyone want to buy any eggs?????? just kidding - the neighbours are very appreciative.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 15:03 »
My young girls started laying a few weeks ago. 

But last years girls are just starting again now even though they were laying in November, and their eggs are so big - 75 grs  and more, that I thought they were double yolkers, but no - just very big eggs  ;)
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 15:19 »
I think it depends on whether they are pure breed or hybrids and on the breed. I have 4, 2 year old hybrids and they have laid at least 1 egg per day collectively since April 2010. They started off laying approximately 2 dozen eggs per week which has now reduced to about 15 eggs per week. The cold weather last winter made their egg laying erratic but they kept going. Amazing  :wacko:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 15:27 by Fisherman »

evie2

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 17:03 »
Ours came back into lay a few weeks ago after a few weeks rest at the end of autumn, I think the mild weather has something to do with it, although they were laying early in the year when we had all that snow and freezing temperatures :wub:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 00:45 »
The solstice has been and gone and the days are getting longer now.....
Hopefully more eggs will be laid!
I haven't done too badly....2 or 3 a day from 6 hens.....but I have bought a dozen so far to top up when baking before Christmas.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 14:18 »
Titania, our Dutch bantam, hatched at the end of May, has started to lay :D and although she's smaller than the poots, her eggs are bigger :wub: very strange :wub:

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 34 queries.