Broodyness

• 2 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Broodyness
« on: May 06, 2009, 16:07 »
Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with a broody chicken? At least I think thats what she is, I have 3 chickens, and one of them , the silver sussex will not come off the nest. She also has a bald tummy, although I do keep the house clean, and use Diatoms. She has been like this  for about a week, she hasnt laid an egg for two days now. I have been gently lifting her out of the box and putting her outside. She does seem to act normally for a short while, but quickly goes back to the nest. I remove all eggs promptly, but I'm at loss wether  I should leave her, or take the lid off the coup so exposing her, or take her off the nest each day and close the door so that she cant get back in. Sorry its a bit long winded.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Broodyness
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 18:22 »
Certainly sounds like she is broody and you are doing the things I did to try and sort out my broody duck. However take no advice from me because after nearly 2 weeks of chucking her out and locking the door and her going frantic outside I caved in and she now has a little (OK not sooo little) clutch of eggs under her and I am looking forward to ducklings in 28 days! That should sort out her broodiness! ::)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

Re: Broodyness
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 18:38 »
If you can shut her out of the coop it may help :)
They can be really determined sometimes ::)

With mine I just keep getting them off the nest, take all the eggs away and they give up eventually :lol:

Sarah :D

wireless
On off broodyness

Started by SamT on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 13:39
by SamT
xx
ENCOURAGING BROODYNESS

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 21:34
by too many girls
xx
First time broodyness

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 14:30
by joyfull
xx
Laying post-broodyness?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 17:28
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 30 queries.