edible flowers

• 18 Replies

MarkG

edible flowers
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:09 »
Hi All,

Wow.

OH just received some seed packets of edible flowers from a friend, as a birthday present. I had no idea you could eat these:

Nasturtium: "with its spicy water-cress taste, its leaves and flowers will add a delightful touch to any salad, while its seeds prefectly season your vinegars".

Sweet William: "with their rich perfume Sweet Williams enhance salty foods, as well as salads. They also flavour butter, sugars, oils and vinegars. Once they are dry, the petals perfume will enhance your water and wine pitchers. They can also be crystallized to decorate any dessert or other delicacy".

Violet: "...high concentration of acetyle salicyclic acid, also known as aspirin!" so good for headaches then.

They'll be going in the allotment then. Has anyone used these in food? Can you recommend any good uses or recepies.

Thanks,

Mark.

poultrygeist

edible flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:42 »
I think it's only the last 100 years we've not bothered eating them all.

Used a lot in posh dishes as decoration and otherwise through history...and still I dare say if you pay enough for your food.

A lot of eastern dishes use them too I think.

Must go round the garden seeing what we've got. It'll shock the neighbours.  :shock:

Rob

gobs

edible flowers
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:10 »
Just be careful though, as a lot of garden plants are very toxic. :shock:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

poultrygeist

edible flowers
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:22 »
Yes indeed. We have the RHS herbs book which is fascinating.

The hardest bit is identifying what the flowers are ! I worked out a few last summer but have forgotten again. Must write them down.

I can see me posting a few photos up this year. Be on standby.

Rob

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
edible flowers
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34 »
My hubby is on a diet so has been eating lots of mixed salads and it was whilst we were buying seeds we noticed you could eat nasturtiums so we picked up a packet.  Hubby is looking forward to his flowery salads in the summer  :lol:

I haven't decided where to plant them yet though maybe a few at the allotment and a few in tubs at home.  Haven't I read somewhere that they spread like mad?
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
edible flowers
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 14:16 »
Day Lilly flowers are supposed to be very tasty !

compostqueen

edible flowers
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 16:00 »
nasturtium seeds are used like capers I think and the flowers are peppery  :D  I think you can eat pansies anorl but better check  :D   What about courgette flowers, oh and elderflowers

On Masterchef one of the celeb chefs, in France I think it was, dished up a flower salad. It looked lovely  :D   It woulda looked better with a slab of 'am in the middle though in my book  8)

dereklane

• Experienced Member
dandelion flowers
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 16:46 »
Dandelion flowers are quite edible too, and prolific over the next month or two (at least, they are around here). My kids like them, but they tend to get a little infested with bugs...

Nasturtium flowers are very tasty, both peppery and sweet at the same time.

cheers,

Derek

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
edible flowers
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 17:03 »
I am growing nasturiums and sweet wiliams this year in with my herbs and am looking forward to funky salads! I had read that about day lillies too and have seen very expensive prepacked mini courgettes in the deli with the flower still attached so that must be true.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
edible flowers
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 17:20 »
I'd just watch out for blackfly before you crunch too hastily into your nasturtiums...  :shock:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
edible flowers
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 17:22 »
Quote from: "Yorkie1"
I'd just watch out for blackfly before you crunch too hastily into your nasturtiums...  :shock:

I've always found them a blackfly magnet - it put me off growing them years ago  :(
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

gobs

edible flowers
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 17:58 »
All those few flowers I tried, well, an acquired taste, that I thought was not worth acquiring. Haven't tried day lilies though, but I understand, it's widely used in cooking in Asia. Nasturtiums I can't go near for the smell.

I'm quite partial to cauliflower though and garlic, etc allium buds are good.

compostqueen

edible flowers
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 22:27 »
nasturtiums are good plot flowers as they divert attention from your food crops. Caterpillars and blackfly are better off on your nasturtiums than on your brassicas and broad beans.  

Nettles on the plot margins are good egg laying sites for cabbage whites so don't pull them all up

nettles are edible too

dereklane

• Experienced Member
edible flowers
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55 »
Nettles are edible too...

As are dandelion roots, though not that tasty (I was imagining something like parsnip).

However, if you dice the roots finely, roast them (until the chocolately smell comes, and they're nice and hard), you can grind them up and use them as a coffee substitute. The finer the powder and the longer they've been roasted for (without getting too burnt), the stronger the drink.

It's a little bitter on the first mouthful, but after that, a nice drink, particularly with honey.

(Well, I like it, but noone else I've offered it to has been all that happy with it. People are so cagey about trying new things ...)

cheers,

Derek

poultrygeist

edible flowers
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 11:19 »
I think Ray Mears did a wild food series a while back.

With that chap with the beard.

Took them a couple of hours ot collect, another couple to prepare and/or cook by which time you've died of hunger !

But free and interesting all the same.

Rob

xx
edible flowers

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 21:55
by mumofstig
xx
Edible flowers

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 29, 2007, 17:36
by gobs
xx
veg and edible flowers in tubs

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 08:47
by BabbyAnn
xx
Edible Hedges

Started by Jasmine123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 13:01
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 28 queries.