How to use diatom.

• 2 Replies

pennsylvania planters

How to use diatom.
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:48 »
Hi,
One of my fellow chicken lovers has given me a large amount of diatom. However i have no instructions on how to use it (he's on holiday).

Any advice would be greatfull, thanks.
John.

nzdunn

Re: How to use diatom.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:56 »
I have the diatom in the puffer bottle, just sprinkle it in the nest boxes and in any nook and crannys, i put it at the end of the perches where it joins onto the house, just put it everywhere  :lol: thats wot i do.  I clean my girls house out every two weeks so always refresh with the diatom then, i also spray in poultry shield to.    I also powder my girls with it to, under the wings, vent, or you can put it in their dust bath to.   Dont worry you carnt go wrong with it.  Nickyx

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: How to use diatom.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 12:02 »
Hi,
One of my fellow chicken lovers has given me a large amount of diatom. However i have no instructions on how to use it (he's on holiday).

Any advice would be greatfull, thanks.
John.

From the information data:

Diatomaceous Earth (DE), as it is correctly known, is a 100% natural powder for use on birds and animals against internal (worms) and external parasites (lice, fleas etc), and for the general good health of your animals. It really does work, you can find many website forums singing its praises.

A very useful product which can be used for internally worming all poultry and many other farm animals including dogs and horses, plus can be used on all birds and pets for the control of lice, fleas etc. and for residual control of lice in housing and bedding.

If Red Mite is already a problem in your henhouse then we would suggest using Poultry Shield Red Mite Eradicator first, to clean out, then when dry apply Diatom Powder. We also suggest you use it for residual louse and mite control by applying to nest boxes and house floor when bedding is changed and/or use in purpose made dustbaths where the birds will get a constant covering when bathing.

* Residual Red Mite control
* Natural Wormer
* Increases digestability of the feed
* Helps in supplying adequate minerals
* Aids in greater utilisation of feed value. It will save on feed as less undigested feed passes through the large intestine as waste matter
* Causes noticeably better health, less sickness and a faster growth gain
* Diatom is a 100% natural product
* No Egg withdrawal period necessary
* Pack sizes 1kg, 2kg, 5kg, 10kg and 15kg
* Residual Red Mite control. Scatter a good handful around the perch and nesting areas. The mite will crawl through the dust to get to the hens at night. the Diatom scratches the mites waxy shell causing it to slowly dehydrate and die.
* Feeding rates: Add 1% Diatom to Poultry Feed, 2% for Pigs, Goats and Sheep, 5oz in Horse Rations. Can also be used for Dogs and Cats.

I sprinkle heavy doses of it in the shavings on the floor, in the nest boxes, on the hens, and mixed with the sand in their dust bath.
Hope this helps.

Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

xx
diatom

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 17:07
by Chuckles
xx
diatom where can i get it

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 22:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
diatom and its uses

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:11
by Flowerpower136
xx
diatom

Started by pj101 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 21:52
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.