saffron propagation help

• 11 Replies

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
saffron propagation help
« on: November 04, 2014, 20:19 »
Following on from another (great) thread here, I have just bought 100 saffron crocus bulbs. Fingers crossed they arrive okay.

While I understand cormlets will grow on the parent corm and can be split off each year/every 3 years (depending on what you read) and propagate this way, I also read another interesting way....to quote:

"the easiest way to increase your stocks of saffron bulbs there are (two) other techniques that can be employed to increase your stocks far more quickly."

The first technique is the simplest involving the removal of the main stem. This can either be cut or broken away from the main stem or you may wish to try digging it out of the parent corm using the tip of a sharp knife...dust the exposed surface with a fungicidal powder, then allow the prepared corm to dry in a warm environment for 48 hours to seal any exposed surfaces. The prepared corm is now ready for potting on into a good soil based compost or outside directly into the ground. This method will encourage the dormant buds to break creating a far more successful divisions later on."

I really, really, don't understand this. I have even tried to find such like on YouTube and failed. Can anyone explain this to me, please?

Where I've got to is I can simply cut the main stem, dry it out a bit, and then plant it. Is that right? It's that simple?

Many thanks.

(Source: http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/how-to-propagate-saffron-crocus.html )
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: saffron propagation help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 21:08 »
I'm no expert, but I think you may have got that wrong Kevin. 

I think it is saying that if you remove the main stem, it encourages the dormant buds on the corm to grow, so you get several stems and then if you later cut the corm up into sections, each has a guaranteed growing point  :)

Kevin67

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 21:16 »
Ahhhh....

.. now that makes sense!

Thank you! Whew!

(edited to add)
You'd think the amount I read that I might have understood the original text, but I didn't - so thank you for your helpful reply, New Shoot, I was really lost for a while!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 21:44 by Kevin67 »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:16 »
I have no idea of it works for Crocus, but I have done "Twin Scaling" on Snowdrops, and that would maybe work?

You slice the bulb, vertically, into wedges - maybe 8, maybe 16 on a large bulb; each segment must include some of the bulb's basal plate (although the top is sliced off as part of the process and it, too, usually grows).  You chuck them in a tub with some only-just-slightly-moist vermiculite and each scale grows one, sometimes more, little bulbs at the base which are then planted up.

Hygiene during the whole process is very important, including sterilising everything, bulb included, with meths/alcohol and submerging the bulbs in a fungicide bath for several minutes.

There's a good How To Guide (for Snowdrops) here:
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Propagation/Twin-Scaling/twin-scaling.htm

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11 »
As far as I read it, you need bulbs of a certain size to flower in the first year. The bulbs I was sent were each about 3-4cm in diameter. If you cut the bulbs into tiny pieces, yes you will have many bulbs, but they will take time to get to a mature size and flower. So possibly it might be as easy to wait for the 4 years and divide when you would lift them?

Happy to be corrected, and freely admit I don't know much about this but I think I would rather wait & watch them grow than cut them up.

Kevin67

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:21 »
Thank you, Kristie and Surbie,

I've been doing a lot of reading overnight and this morning and just a little more informed and confident! With having such a low number of bulbs, I will play it safe and let nature do its thing before I expand my skills (worthwhile) with splicing, etc.

I have to say, I knew I enjoyed gardening, but I'm just enraptured with it.  :D

Thank you again for all your sterling help!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:45 »
As far as I read it, you need bulbs of a certain size to flower in the first year. The bulbs I was sent were each about 3-4cm in diameter. If you cut the bulbs into tiny pieces, yes you will have many bulbs, but they will take time to get to a mature size and flower. So possibly it might be as easy to wait for the 4 years and divide when you would lift them?

Happy to be corrected, and freely admit I don't know much about this but I think I would rather wait & watch them grow than cut them up.

I only know for Snowdrops, so no idea if Crocus would be the same.  As a rough guide Snowdrops double each year.  It takes about 3 years to get a twin-scale to flower.

Comparing conventional doubling and twin-scaling every 4th year:

Year 1 : 1 / 16
Year 2 : 2 / 16
Year 3 : 4 / 16
Year 4 : 8 / 256
Year 5 : 16 / 256
Year 6 : 32 / 256
Year 7 : 64 / 4096

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 10:45 »
Just as an aside, I live near Cockersand Abbey and the field next to us used to be absolutely blue with them in the spring and was probably due to the canons growing them to trade the saffron; unfortunately, the later farming on it removed them all.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 16:35 »
Just as an aside, cinnamon is a natural fungicide so could be used if you don't have a commercial fungicide powder.
It's also purported to be as good as hormone rooting powder when attempting to get cuttings to root.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Kevin67

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 17:19 »
Thanks to all for your help and input.

As far as I have read, after 4 years, one might expect 10-14 cormlets on the original corm. Expansion should be easy.

Up to now, I have read approx 15 University-based articles on Saffron Crocus, learned about which nutrients, soil types, growing systems and breeding (failures). It's all good stuff. I've also read approx 50-60 websites on the plant, so it's all gelling in.

Kevin67

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:45 »
I have been doing a fair bit of serious reading about growing saffron crocus corms.

I wonder if I can get a clearer picture of cormlet/cormel growth from help here,please?

My intent is to build up stocks. Should I take the cormels/cormlets off each year or leave it for 2 or 3 years before stripping them off? (My thoughts are each year as there will be more room for new babies plus if it is done 2-3 years then the cormels that developed that year would also be stripped, thus negating the benefit of leaving it awhile.)

Kevin67

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 14:22 »
Thank you to MoS for house-keeping.  :)

xx
rosemary propagation

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:10
by SG6
xx
Pepper Propagation

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 22:47
by love-my-plot
xx
Sorrel Propagation

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 10:22
by mamalovesmambo
xx
seed germination and propagation

Started by thumperrabbit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 18:09
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 33 queries.