Like being punished for something you didn't do...

• 19 Replies

Growster...

Like being punished for something you didn't do...
« on: August 09, 2021, 07:34 »
This blasted weather is the culprit!

I can't remember such an awful summer, can you?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Like being punished for something you didn't do...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 09:02 »
I really can't!  :(
I can remember being on holiday with mum and dad in the early '50s, the accomodation was Nissen huts, in those days  just after the war, and the weather was awful - rain was deafening.
I can also remember coming home from a camping holiday because it rained non-stop for 3 days when the kids were small, but changed, typically, back to normal as soon as we came home  ::)
I really can't remember one as wet and cool, over-all, as this one - it's been a dreadful growing year for us in the SE  :(

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 09:11 »
That's the sort of holiday I can remember, Mum!

And I have to go and get a haircut in Highgate in a minute, and do the weekly shop...

Tesco's car-park is usually under water anyway...

:0(

al78

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 10:00 »
I think this is the worst allotment year for me since I started in 2013 (and that year was annoying enough with winter carrying on until April). Unfortunately the SE has been hammered with poor weather since the beginning of May (following a very dry April and the frostiest for 60 years), and when it hasn't been pouring down it has been blazing hot. I can't remember such a localised spell of poor summer weather whilst the rest of the country has had rainfall well below average. It also seems to be the case that the weekends have been particularly biased towards poor weather, which makes allotment work very difficult if you have a standard office job like me. When this locked in unsettled pattern is over it is going to take months to get my allotment in decent shape again.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 12:11 »
...I don't really mean I like your post, Al, but you have my sympathy of course!

For anyone wanting to work over the weekend it must have been the most frustrating time imaginable! I understand that it's supposed to be changing tomorrow, and about blasted time, as the garden is just overgrown with lush shrubs that I just can't get to without being soaked to the skin! I've just got back from the top of the village, and it was just pouring down in torrents!

And the wet weather has affected anything worth growing - even the runner beans have gone into a deep sulk!

Fingers crossed for the rest of the week, and I sincerely hope you get a chance to move forward!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 12:20 »
The weather up here has been so dramatically different each month that it's no wonder my plants got confused. Frosts until end of April then a long dry spell which lasted until about a fortnight ago, and now it's cooler with intermittent rain. My toms are all still green, half of my snap peas died off and the remainder took ages to climb so I sowed some more and they're being reluctant as well, but my ornamental plug plants and home-sown ones eventually took off with a bang and now I've got tubs overflowing with begonias and trailing petunias. Sweet peas also stopped growing then suddenly got the hint and climbed up their frame and were dangling over our garden wall until last Friday when a sudden gust of wind blew them over. They and some other things are starting to look a bit autumnal now so I am looking forward to see what happens next year. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 12:31 »
"They and some other things are starting to look a bit autumnal"

Isn't that so depressing, GG!

Are you as exposed to the wind where you are now, as you were before? We have so many trees about thirty yards away, they sort of break up the gusts, but as for rain...Paaah!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 16:44 »
I go out, I garden, I get soaked, so I stay out and try to crack on, But the gusty winds are blowing me over, and all the plants as well.Lobelia looks all brown underneath.  Gazania, the leaves look horrid.  Shan't grow those again !  Grape Bunches blown down as are many plants and veg.   Bits of the garden keep flying past the windows.    Several of the very long trailing  begonias has blown to the ground, so I have bought them in and put them in a jar.  I wonder if they will grow roots.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 18:29 »
"I go out, I garden, I get soaked, so I stay out and try to crack on"

The story of a true gardener, Mrs B! Fabulous!

It still rankles though, doesn't it! You work all year to get things just right, and then Mother Nature get's the hump, and ruins all your efforts!

If anyone mentions 'climate change' again, I'll jump on a bus and get round there and thump them...

Christine

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 18:48 »
If anyone mentions 'climate change' again, I'll jump on a bus and get round there and thump them...
Oooh good our local bus needs all the support it can get.  ;)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 22:49 »
And I have to go and get a haircut in Highgate in a minute, and do the weekly shop...

Look on the bright side ...

After your hair cut, maybe the rain will get your hair wet and it will shrink and save you money on the next hair cut!

Kidding aside, I hope the weather improves for you, including next year.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 07:25 »
Oooh good our local bus needs all the support it can get.  ;)

Luckiy, we have three separate bus services close by, Christine, one goes to Rye market each Thursday, and a dear elderly chum does the trip each time to see her pals!

It's part of village life I suppose!

(But please don't mention 'climate change'...)

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 07:26 »

Look on the bright side ...

After your hair cut, maybe the rain will get your hair wet and it will shrink and save you money on the next hair cut!

Kidding aside, I hope the weather improves for you, including next year.

There's not a lot left to shrink, SubP, but at least I don't look like a footballer with a stupid topknot, or even worse, a headband...;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 09:08 »
Growster, it's no where near as windy as it was at the cottage, but as it's a bit open here between the fields and the surrounding houses we're in a bit of a wind tunnel. I feel a bit miffed with the weather especially as it can be gloomy and showery all day until 5 o'clock then the sun decided to come out laughing! :mad:

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 11:53 »
Today's much better, GG, and I've even got out on my bike - a first trip for ages!

Exhausted now...:0~

xx
didn't she do well

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 17:56
by GraciesGran
xx
You didn't scam me - ha!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 11:54
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 53 queries.