Like being punished for something you didn't do...

• 19 Replies

mrs bouquet

Re: Like being punished for something you didn't do...
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 12:18 »
Growster, it's no where near as windy as it was at the cottage, but as it's a bit open here between the fields and the surrounding houses we're in a bit of a wind tunnel. I feel a bit miffed with the weather especially as it can be gloomy and showery all day until 5 o'clock then the sun decided to come out laughing! :mad:
It has been like that here as well,   5 ish, the sun appears and stays out until dark.  But it is not warm enough to go out then.  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 14:24 »
Same here in N Cumbria. My toms in the greenhouse are prolific with some huge ones but only had half a dozen ripe ones so far - and that's off 12 plants!

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 14:42 »
I'm chopping off the leaves now, as the trusses just cry out for sunlight...

Slow year, I'm afraid!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 09:21 »
Growster, does that bus float and have a sail so it can cross the pond?

Climate as opposed to weather ...
Weather is short term. If you are talking about effects that are seen over anything less than multiple years, that's weather. An odd analogy would be to compare weather to rolling dice. If you roll three sixes in a row, that might not mean anything if you go back to rolling all of the numbers randomly later on. A single cold wet summer may or may not be part of a change in climate.

Climate (and climate change) refers to effects that occur over many years. Long-term effects or trends pushing mostly in one direction, or a cluster of effects that are linked to a common cause, and occurring persistently over large areas of the globe, that's climate.  Roll the dice a hundred times and wind up with fifty of those being sixes, that is a pattern.

I'm a scientist, but not a climatologist. I read a fair amount of climate-related science, and also have observed a lot of climate (and weather) effects over decades. We are losing a tremendous amount of ice from polar regions and from mountain areas that have had snow and ice for millenia. When that melts, the fresh, colder water goes to the oceans, ocean density changes, that changes oceanic currents, including in the Atlantic. Globally, monitoring has identified numerous global hottest-year-on-record in the past few decades. Your cold summer could be just one year, or you could be rolling a string of sixes; are the dice loaded? We are also seeing sea level rise, slowly, world wide. Some small inhabited low-elevation islands are needing to move their populations elsewhere, and coastal areas around the world are seeing worse flooding during storms, and more frequent bad storms. Weather this year, world wide, has seen unprecedented events; bad luck? Or yet another six?

It increasingly appears to me, and many other scientists, that the long term pattern is changing, globally. Yes, my opinion, but informed by a lot of consistent science. Keep your eye on those sixes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:51 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

al78

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2021, 17:24 »
Growster, does that bus float and have a sail so it can cross the pond?

Climate as opposed to weather ...
Weather is short term. If you are talking about effects that are seen over anything less than multiple years, that's weather. An odd analogy would be to compare weather to rolling dice. If you roll three sixes in a row, that might not mean anything if you go back to rolling all of the numbers randomly later on. A single cold wet summer may or may not be part of a change in climate.

Climate (and climate change) refers to effects that occur over many years. Long-term effects or trends pushing mostly in one direction, or a cluster of effects that are linked to a common cause, and occurring persistently over large areas of the globe, that's climate.  Roll the dice a hundred times and wind up with fifty of those being sixes, that is a pattern.

I'm a scientist, but not a climatologist. I read a fair amount of climate-related science, and also have observed a lot of climate (and weather) effects over decades. We are losing a tremendous amount of ice from polar regions and from mountain areas that have had snow and ice for millenia. When that melts, the fresh, colder water goes to the oceans, ocean density changes, that changes oceanic currents, including in the Atlantic. Globally, monitoring has identified numerous global hottest-year-on-record. In the past few decades. Your cold summer could be one year, or you could be rolling a string of sixes; are the dice loaded? We are also seeing sea level rise, slowly, world wide. Some small inhabited low-elevation islands are needing to move their populations elsewhere, and coastal areas around the world are seeing worse flooding during storms, and more frequent bad storms. Weather this year, world wide, has seen unprecedented events; bad luck? Or yet another six?

It increasingly appears to me, and many other scientists, that the long term pattern is changing, globally. Yes, my opinion, but informed by a lot of consistent science. Keep your eye on those sixes.

It seems to me something has changed with the UK's climate. Our weather has always been classified as very changeable, due to our mid-latitude position near the polar front jet stream, and the presence of a large ocean to the west and large landmass to the south and east mean the UK can be under the influence of many different air masses. In recent years we seem to be getting more stagnant weather patterns, we seem to have largely lost the low pressure coming through bringing rain followed by a ridge bringing calm sunny conditions before the next low comes through. Now we get stuck under a trough in the jet stream or have it roaring overhead for weeks bringing weeks, or months of wetter than normal weather, or the other extreme like in 2018, we are stuck under a ridge and we have 2-3 months of bone dry weather. The UK's weather seems to have shifted from high frequency to low frequency variability. Unfortunately the stagnated weather patterns are what lead to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyZVFB4Sco

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aa-F8n-ao&t=6s

The UK Met Office claims climate change is evident across the UK (amongst other places across the world):

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2021/climate-change-continues-to-be-evident-across-uk

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2021/ipcc-report-stresses-urgency-to-protect-ambitious-paris-aspiration
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 17:25 by al78 »

xx
didn't she do well

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 17:56
by GraciesGran
xx
You didn't scam me - ha!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 11:54
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 43 queries.