'The Patch' - a future obituary...

• 11 Replies

Growster...

'The Patch' - a future obituary...
« on: April 06, 2018, 21:40 »
We think it's now time to pass on 'The Patch' to another younger gardener.

Just recently, Mrs Growster suggested that we should look a bit more at our own garden at home, which is large enough to keep me occupied for several hours each day, and then there's the mowing outside, some tree-lopping, the ivy on the church brick walls and paving, and all the hedges etc.

We were discussing (over a tincture of course - that's when decisions are taken), a section in the front where we hadn't really done much for a few years, and when I got stuck into the clearing and cleaning, the real picture emerged...

It was just like the sort of garden you take on when a place has been empty for several years, (like 'The Turrets' had been when we moved here in 1989), and I felt a bit morose about it all, as we have a lovely position near the church, and the old place deserves much more attention and - yes - TLC!

We love 'The Patch', but last year, we gave away loads of veg and fruit; I went off soup (don't ask), so some of the leeks are still there, and planting potatoes is getting a bit hard these days. The couch grass still threatens us every time we do the weeding, and getting up and down on the kneeler takes a few seconds longer as well...

So we're going to down-size the veg and fruit, and instead of growing eighty tomato plants, and five cucumbers, we'll more than halve that. I've got space in all the corners here at home, and can do to the carrots which we always do now, (in buckets), as we will try the leeks (although this is still under discussion). I can still grow as many beans as we want here, including the new varieties generously supplied by Sunny, and we always grow sweetcorn here as I want to beat the record of one minute 45 seconds from garden to saucepan...

The greenhouse will be full as usual, and we're planning moving some fruit bushes like red currants back here, more as a gesture than a necessity, but I do love growing them!

Chatting with a good plot neighbour this morning, I realised that a decision like this is better made when you don't need, or have to decide, and fitness isn't a problem. That way, I can arrange a reduced gardening regime to get the hands as dirty as possible, but without all the harder effort like mowing, digging etc. What is a bit odd, is that only a few months ago, we were considering taking on another half plot, as there were several fruit trees there. That idea went south when I tried to strim it and it was so bad, I decided there and then that enough work like that was just not needed for a few apples!

So, come October, Growster will be in a minor key, perhaps out on the wing, but still annoying everyone about what it used to be like, growing an acre of leeks, a whole field of tomatoes, and covering half my village with either fleece or manure - whatever takes your fancy..;0)

wighty

Re: 'The Patch' - a future obituary...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 00:02 »
I am completely on your side, we made the decision about five years ago to give u p our plot as we were growing for it's size rather than what the two of  us could eat.  We will not this year be growing broad beans as we haven't even started on last  years crop yet.  We have however finally cleared the freezer of passatta so will be concentrating on that this year.  Go with the flow I think is the saying.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:43 »
I'm right at the other end of the allotment experience, I'm relatively new and full of the energy and drive to make a go of it, but it's the people like you, with your wisdom and knowledge that give us young uns the drive to go and make a good job of it.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:08 »
The home veg garden is better than the allotment in so many ways !
Being able to do half an hour as weather and enthusiasm allow, harvesting just enough fruit or veg for one meal.
And the convenience of a handy cuppa , sarnie or piece of cake delivered by the spouse ! :)

Christine

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12 »
And here's me of an age to know better. I retired some 12 years ago when the retirement age was 60. Last year I took on a second allotment - one of these full sized ones. It was in good order but the soil in not the most productive (that's a translation from the basic Anglo Saxon which is not allowed here). With a little help from the family in cutting the large and long hedges I think I'm still fit enough. Might be mind over matter though. But I'm into season 2 with both plots. Well if the rain would give in.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:10 »
i.ve been reading this topic with some interest because like most the years are unfortunately catching up with me and I'm not able to do what I could do twenty years ago having said that we still garden an acre of allotments although my tractor and rotavator are a good help and not to mention my wife who helps me on the plot

but I take your point being just the two of us now we do end up with plenty of veg given the season and we do give some away and put surplus in the freezer its a winter supply of good food not wasted

but sometime or another I'm going to have to bite the bullet and either give some up or finish with the lot it will be hart wrenching when this happens because we have been gardening on the allotments for over forty years plus many of my fellow gardeners don't want me to pack up because there's less takers and others packing up there allotments and if things get out of hand then our landlords will take it back for other uses  I've learnt today that another of our guys has had a bad stroke so that's another plot gone

but I've always said gardening must be enjoyed and not a chore and unfortunately many of the younger generation are not interested in allotment gardening will it be that allotments will be a thing of the past in years to come that our kids will tell there kids your grandfather used to have an allotments what's an allotment granddad its so sad to think this mite happen  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:30 »
It's a little sad Growster, but if the plot is too much work then downsizing is the way to go - certainly you don't need to give up veg growing altogether with such a large garden ;)
A little readjusting of the space available, will give you plenty of room to grow enough veg for you and yours.
It's great when you can stop, come indoors and have a cuppa, then go back out again for another half an hour, or weeble in and out as weather allows :D
Good luck with the new venture!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:47 »
I would love to be able to grow fruit and veggies here outside our own backdoor instead of a mile away, Growster, and you do have such a large garden that it sounds like a perfect option. You will miss the chat and banter more than the growing though, methinks......

And yes, you are right. So much better to make timely decision rather than have nature force it upon you, as you can stagger your move (No reference to tinctures intended through the use of the word stagger, of course) as it suits you.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

grinling

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 16:11 »
I think allotments should have plots with just fruit on them and shared out among the growers with everyone helping out. Using raised beds on stilts would utilise more space on plots aand encourage new users.
I grow in the front garden and a polytunnel and 25kg of spuds sell for £7

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 09:14 »
as i said in my previous reply we give or freeze surplus veg our council landlords would not be pleased if we where selling veg of the allotments

and if only you where rite grinling because there's no problem in vacant allotments hear no need for sharing  :D :D

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 11:15 »
As usual, these are interesting replies - thank you all!

I am already enjoying the time to look after 'The Turrets', knowing that I don't need to dig twenty beds down the road...

Mind you, I still need to mow The Patch paths, and tend the fruit bushes etc, but the front garden here is looking much better for the TLC so far, and I'm only 10% finished! Then I can tackle the back garden...

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 12:00 »
as i said in my previous reply we give or freeze surplus veg our council landlords would not be pleased if we where selling veg of the allotments

and if only you where rite grinling because there's no problem in vacant allotments hear no need for sharing  :D :D

I think Grinling meant that potatoes are that price to buy in shops
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
On giving up 'The Patch'...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post October 20, 2018, 23:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 51 queries.