Unknown illness

• 5 Replies

Alison_T

Unknown illness
« on: October 16, 2009, 13:18 »
I bought some Aylesbury cross ducks some months ago and about eight weeks into owning them, one bird developed a type of lump in her cheek which then seemed to attack the eye. She was unable, for quite some time, to see out of this eye which was weeping, frothy and appeared like she had a cataract. As well as this, she had secretions coming from her nostrils. At the time, she was still drinking and eating well and after consultation with the vet, she was administered Baytrill. Four weeks on, her eye is almost back to normal although the lump is there. We quarantined her at the time and none of the other birds have suffered *touch wood*.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what this could have been?

Vember

Re: Unknown illness
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 13:31 »
Did the lump develop over night so to speak or was it gradual?

Foaming eye can be a symptom of an infectious disease but could also be from an injury.

Did the vet have a good feel at the lump to check it wasn't infection from a cut or a foreign object ?

Sarah :)

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 13:59 »
Read and saw somewhere picture of a duck with a lump on it's face. Was something to do with sinuses, I think. Will carry on thinking and try to remember...........................where I put my purse  ::)
Don't think much of this getting old lark  :(

Alison_T

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 15:21 »
Hi Sarah,

The lump was a gradual mass which got bigger over time - when I opened up her beak it was constricting the oesophagus and dropping the medicinal fluids into her was a bit tough going.

The vet didn't actually see her - we had a phone consultation and I described everything to him.

I'm glad she has now recovered but just wondered what the illness might be in case it every recurs in the rest of the birds.

Thanks to you both for your responses.

Alison

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 15:26 »
Sounds like the infection had caused the secretions to become blocked in her sinus under the eye. This could have to a sort of abcess forming, as the pus was unable to drain due to inflammation. This could also happen with an eye injury as Vember suggests.

Did her mouth have a "pong" at all?

I would be tempted to carry on with the A/bs for a bit longer. :)

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 22:48 »
Remembered and consequently found it. Here goes.............

From The Domestic Duck – Chris and Mike Ashton

Sinus Infection

This is more common in ducks than geese. A swelling develops at the base of the bill so that the birds “cheek” swells out. In a serious case, mucous may also been exuded from the nostrils. Treat with an appropriate antibiotic such as Tylan 200, prescribed by the vet (injection or soluble powder). Baytril is also used as a treatment. The rather hard swelling should soften as it responds to the antibiotic and, after about a week, the swelling should have gone. Sometimes the swelling remains despite the infective agent being dealt with. Make sure that the bird has lots of clean water to wash itself and the swelling should finally clear. Watch the bird to check that the infection does not re-occur in susceptible individuals, usually Call Ducks. Young birds can grow out of this condition as they get older.

Hope this is of some use
Rubes

sad
Illness - Please Help

Started by propermanor on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 14:12
by joyfull
exclamation
Unusual illness

Started by jededitor on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 23:20
by compostqueen
xx
Worrying illness

Started by SuzyandtheBs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:21
by SuzyandtheBs
xx
Mystery illness

Started by Eileen Egginton on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 23:50
by grinling

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.