Bindweed - best way to get rid

• 6 Replies

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:34 »
My plot is riddled with bindweed especially at the edges.
What tactics do others employ to get rid of it?  I have been digging and removing the white root and exposing it to the sun before composting it... will this kill it?
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

noshed

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:04 »
Not quite sure - I think the Flowedew method is to drown it for a few months and then compost it.
I've got the same problem - now it's a bit better because I convinced the bloke next door to get the glyphosate out. Now I just pull it wherever I see it and try to stop it getting a hold. When I took over the plot about a third of it was a mass of strawberries, raspberries and bindweed. I dug out most of the rasps and left a few in a double row and dug up all the strawbs and replanted them after getting as much of the bindweed out as I could.
That seemed to work - it is blooming hard to get rid of once it's twined round other plants. It got embroiled in my spuds last year so I'm keeping a sharper look out.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 13:13 »
Are you organic slow_worm?  Just that you are quoting Rachel Carson.

Digging it up is the only way I know.  Do it frequently as soon as shoots break the surface.  You will eventually deprive the bindweed of all strength by denying them the chance to photosynthesise.

Thoroughly drying in sun is what I do but drowning it also works.

Even mulching with polythene isn't hugely successful since the roots will wander for several yards in search of light above.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 13:46 »
Try to be organic... not used any herbicides yet!  Only started this year though so the bindweed may make me crack!

Annie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 14:09 »
It`s a dig it all out situation as  it`s one of those that regrows from any bit of root.If it gets in the middle of something where you cannot  dig it out you can try growing it up a cane then when you`ve got a decent amount put the top growth into a plastic bag and spray carefully inside with glyophosphate,tie bag and leave the glyo.to wizz down to the roots.this usually works

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 14:20 »
We suffered with bindweed too ! Its a long job but keep digging it out as soon as shoots appear this will weaken the plant in our experience, never used weedkiller on our plot .If the plot is clear try double digging picking up every piece of root and we always burn these , never tried composting them. If its amoungst permanent plants wait for the plants dormant season, dig up the plant and try to tease the bindweed from the plant roots then replant and hope .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 14:56 »
Thanks for the advice folks.
I can see where I have dug, some bindweed already regrowing - I like the idea of trapping it up a cane and doing a poly bag and glyphosate job on it though (like catch a rat in a trap!!)... I will let you know how it goes.

question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig
xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 21:36
by pedro
xx
bindweed

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 09:40
by Kristen

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 38 queries.