Bindweed-ridden raspberries

• 9 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Bindweed-ridden raspberries
« on: March 27, 2021, 10:07 »
Morning all. I have a patch of old autumn fruiting raspberry canes which are ridden with bindweed. The raspberries are tasteless (I think they are very old and past their sell-by) and the bindweed has now started to encroach into my raised veg beds which are adjacent to them - #nightmare.

Rather than cultivate the raspberries and try to control the bindweed (impossible I'm finding), or digging out the cane roots (which will chop into all the bindweed roots) I am thinking about cutting the canes down to ground level and laying thick cardboard on top to smother them.  I'm hoping that this way might give me the opportunity next year or the year after (?) of using the "no dig" method in that section of the garden. What do you all think?  I don't really want to go down the chemical route to get rid of the bindweed, but am really fed up about it.  Any advice gratefully received. The sight of bindweed amongst my veggies makes my heart sink to my boots. >:(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Bindweed-ridden raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:36 »
If you don’t want to use chemical methods you have a longer road ahead.  I’d recommend mulching (yes, cardboard would do).  Keep hoeing and possibly use a weed wand to burn it.

If it can’t photosynthesis the roots will slowly die.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 15:17 »
Thanks Aunt Sally. Looks like there are no easy answers to the blimmin' bindweed problem... :(

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 17:32 »
we had the same problem 2 years ago so we decided to dig up the raspberry bed we sprayed the old raspberries bed canes and all with roundup then after the roundup had done its job we dug it over and then cultivated the patch that was the end of the bindweed and the raspberry canes  :D

we haven't got round to planting a  new raspberry patch in another part of the plot maybe this year when we decide what variety to grow that includes  making  a fruit cage we also intend to plant the canes in a breathable membrane to keep the patch clean

grinling

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 18:39 »
you could grow the bindwind up a cane and then spray it, very effective

jezza

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 18:57 »
Hello if they're autumn fruiting raspberries they need cutting down to ground level every year they fruit on new wood,summer fruiting need the previous years canes tying in, I know you dont want to use weedkiller but it's the only way to  kill bind weed,use round up(glyphosate) at 50 mm to a litre of water in an old jug then paint the leaves with the mix,any coming up in your veg beds use a piece of cardboard and paint the leaves with a brush wear good rubber gloves in a couple of weeks the bind weed should start looking sick ,Glyphosate is a translocated herbicide so needs leaves to work dont remove the top growth ,any run off should break down in the soil   jezza

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 09:58 »
I've just given up with my old raspberry bed.  All of the old canes have been dug out and burned and I have started a completely new bed elsewhere. I haven't used weedkiller on the old bed, but intend using it for quick cropping stuff such as salads, so that I can keep clearing it and digging out the bindweed to get it under control.  Hopefully I will eventually win.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 12:14 »
you could grow the bindwind up a cane and then spray it, very effective

You have to leave it until it’s about about 18” high before spraying, so that’s there’s enough growth to translocate the weed killer down to the roots. Keep repeating until you win.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 09:53 »
Thanks all for your comments and advice - very gratefully received. :)

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 15:58 »
 I think thick brown cardboard topped with a good layer of some mulch should help to win the battle, particularly if you trowel out any bindweed that dares to try to grow through. You might find you always have to be vigilant as I try on the only bed in the garden that has it in. It tries every couple of years to do a follow up act after 15 years  :ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Raspberries and bindweed

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2018, 22:02
by Allan-25J
xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen
question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig
xx
Bindweed - best way to get rid

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 14:56
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 46 queries.