what to do with bindweed??

• 18 Replies

Loopyjump

• only regret the things you don't do.
what to do with bindweed??
« on: August 01, 2013, 22:00 »
ok, so I have sprayed Round Up over the allotment and it's done a really good job. Dead brown weeds everywhere. Great!

however, I still get the occasional bindweed popping up. I can't always use round up and the weed is right in with my lovely vegs, so I dig it out as best I can.

the big question is........ what should I do with the bindweed once it is out of the ground? Can I put it in my compost bin? Or should I just let it rot in the sun while dancing up and down on it's grave???

Any advice, gratefully received!

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: what to do with bindweed??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 22:03 »
leave the sun to kill it or burn it.it regrows from the smallest piece of root.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 22:03 »
Either sling it somewhere like a path where it won't take root and allow it to dessicate in the sun before composting or put it in a bucket of water, weighed down and when it is no longer recognisable, compost.  The benefit of the second option is that you can use the water as a plant food if you want.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

bravemurphy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 22:05 »
Put a cane where it is in the patch let it climb and think it got the better of you then paint it with round up  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 22:07 »
You can touch weed kill it by using the Roundup neat on a rubber gloved hand. It doesn't come into contact with anything it shouldn't if you do it like that

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30 »
Don't do what I did - I used the rubber gloved hand of death approach on some bindweed that was twisting around my raspberry canes, but I must have just caught a few raspberry leaves and it has taken the best part of two seasons for them to recover. It seems the slightest hint of Round-up on raspberry canes will just about kill them off.

Loopyjump

• only regret the things you don't do.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:54 »
thanks everyone!!

I'll try burning it out in the sun while we have all this lovely weather. Maybe I'm  quite sadistic, but I do find it satisfying watching it shrivel up in the heat of the sun!

I'll have to check the rules at my allotment before I start a bonfire with the evil stuff!

thanks again everyone!

seaside

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 19:30 »
Pull it up, double up and use it to tie/repair bamboo bean supports etc.  if short of string.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 22:40 »
Whilst on holiday in Scotland, where they call it trumpet weed, I was told they root-atoot! :nowink:

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 22:44 »
I think I'm on my own because I quite like these white trumpets ! ::)  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 22:49 »
You can touch weed kill it by using the Roundup neat on a rubber gloved hand. It doesn't come into contact with anything it shouldn't if you do it like that
Thanks for the tip CQ!  :)  I have some taking over the greenhouse at the mo and climbing up my toms.  I shall use the hand of doom very carefully and then put a bag over the leaf 'just in case'.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:10 »
I find the only way to get around many weeds on my allotment is hoe, hoe and more hoeing and then a few sprays of round up every 2 months if the weeds still haven't got the hint that they are misplaced where they are trying to grow. I use professional grade round up that is a lot lot stronger and works a treat. But then weeds have a funny way of showing up!
Kind Regards
Bill

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 13:45 »
I find the only way to get around many weeds on my allotment is hoe, hoe and more hoeing and then a few sprays of round up every 2 months if the weeds still haven't got the hint that they are misplaced where they are trying to grow. I use professional grade round up that is a lot lot stronger and works a treat. But then weeds have a funny way of showing up!

Are you licensed to use professional grade round up, wil?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 14:39 »

Are you licensed to use professional grade round up, wil?

I use concentrated glyphosate that ive been told its safe for use my none professionals and not round up pro.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 22:15 »
I keep reading on here that people have use'd a concentrated dose of roundup " DON'T DO IT" your wasting money ! use it at the rate specified and expect it to take 3 week's to work on weeds with  a big root system ,if you make the mix too strong you will just burn the tops off it won't get down to the roots  :)
I cook therefore I grow

xx
bindweed

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 09:40
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 21:36
by pedro
xx
Bindweed

Started by Fafafifi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2006, 14:03
by Verminer
xx
Bindweed - best way to get rid

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 14:56
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 39 queries.