Rose Beetles

• 16 Replies

catllar

Rose Beetles
« on: May 09, 2010, 18:57 »
(I may have already posted this (twice) but as there seems to be no sign of it on tinternet I'm having another go with another subect title!.  ) I've got these 'orrid beetles on my roses, white iris and white cistes. They seem to be inside the blooms as they open, then they fly off if I don't get to them quickly enough. I am removing about 100 per day and srowning them. Anybody know what they are, and more importantly how I can get rid of them?
DSCN5146 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN5148 (600 x 450).jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rose Beetles
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 19:41 »
if they are biting into the buds before they open then I would usually think pollen beetles, but those look to big  :blink:

catllar

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 20:06 »
I was thinking along the same lines, till I saw a pic of pollen beetles, which are generally a lot smaller. maybe these are a supercharged variety? By the way, their backs are covered in tiny white spots. Assuming they are "megapollen", got any ideas on getting rid of them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 20:25 »
is it
this one ?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 21:20 »
Do they appear to be damaging the flower? Or are they after aphids and such?

tode

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 21:35 »
Hi Cattlar:  I think they're probably rose chafers (look a bit like a scarab beetle): we've been having quite a lot of em for a few years, now.

If that's it, then the grubs look like this:

which seem to develop in compost that has a high woody content (we find lots in the compost from the local council).

As far as I can see, they seem to eat the pollen in the roses, and not the petals.

Ps  sent you a pm

catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:35 »
Thanks for your replies but it ain't none of 'em! I know rose chafers, Tode and we get them too, but these babies are smaller and black with white spots  ( I saw your pm , Tode, and will reply when I can fathom out how to do it - been a while since I did a pm and can't remember my passwords!!)  :unsure:

No, Mum it's not those either.

Trillium  they are DEFinitely damaging the flowers - otherwise I'd say live and let live, but mess with my roses and you have one V. annoyed lady to deal with!

It's got so bad I am thinking of cutting off all the rosebuds (Sniff,)  and all the ciste flower buds (double sniff) and the pale iris (boohoo) in an attempt to break the reproductive cycle, but that would break my heart! And, of ocurse I have no idea if it would help.I've tried spraying with all purpose insecticide but they just shrug it off. I just have no idea what to do and my time in the garden is solely passed picking off these things. None of the neighbours seem to have them, they all live chez moi! >:(

tode

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:49 »
The little pollen beetles can be a real pain in the derriere as well, especially when you pick the flowers for indoors. But I don't think we've had anything like your desciption. Have you got a close up of one of the beasts?

I try to avoid using chemicals, but if they're wreaking havoc, I'd hit em hard with a contact and a systemic insectide.

Anyway, it's your fault for having roses so early   :D   :D   (sorry  ;)  )

catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 12:56 »
The little pollen beetles can be a real pain in the derriere as well, especially when you pick the flowers for indoors. But I don't think we've had anything like your desciption. Have you got a close up of one of the beasts?

I try to avoid using chemicals, but if they're wreaking havoc, I'd hit em hard with a contact and a systemic insectide.

Anyway, it's your fault for having roses so early   :D   :D   (sorry  ;)  )

Am sending DH out with camera as I type to see if we can't do better than the last 2 pix - You are just jealous, by the way. Also found a couple investigating my lemon tree flowers  (do they not relaise it is my G&T they are threatening here??) Will post more pix asap.

tode

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59 »
If your GTs are threatened, then decisive action is called for   :lol:

catllar

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 13:15 »
If your GTs are threatened, then decisive action is called for   :lol:
Exactly! Here is another pik. By the way ,in the time it took to take the pik and load it I've just collected another 50! (Got 12 out of one bloom  - this is just not fair) They also stink! This one is on Rosa Chinensis Mutabilis, which is about 6cm diam, so you can get abetter idea of the size of the thing.
DSCN5155 (600 x 450).jpg

tode

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 13:40 »
Looks like a cousin of the rose chafer.

But whatever they're called, they've got to go   !

catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 18:26 »
I've tried the usual insecticides, so now I'm going to try one for "doryphores"  The picture on the front of the pack shows a beetle and not a greenfly, so I live in hope!. I will give 'em a spray tomorrow (if not raining)

tode

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 00:26 »
Maybe you could try frying em ?  Packed with protein  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 03:43 »
Believe it or not, what you have is called the White-spotted rose beetle.

This is from The Little Green Apple:

Beetles:

Symptom: Holes in flowers, buds and leaves

Beetles will eat leaves and flowers and heavy infestations can strip the entire plant. Grubs of beetles can attack the roots making it difficult to notice immediate damage but a general weakening of the plant will occur.

Most common beetles to effect roses are the Japanese beetle, fuller rose beetles, rose chafer beetles, rose curculios and rose leaf beetles.

To control them you can pick them off by hand and drop them in a bucket of soapy water.This is only feasible with light infestations. With heavier infestations you can spray with a pyrethrum /isopropyl alcohol mixture every three to five days. A mixture of 1 tablespoon of alcohol to every pint of pyrethrum. You can also use pheromone traps to catch the beetle. Be sure to keep them 40 to 50 feet away from your plants. This will reduce the population if used over the course of 3 to 5 years.

To control the grubs or larvae you can use milky spore disease or Bacillus popilliae.

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Lily beetles

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 14:21
by Trillium
clip
Lily Beetles

Started by sunshineband on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 11:13
by mumofstig
xx
Lilly Beetles

Started by spottymint on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 07:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 36 queries.