Bath pond

• 5 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
Bath pond
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:52 »
hi everyone, i have just aquired an old bath for my lottie and i thought it would make a nice pond tucked away in a corner somewhere,full of tadpoles to help the fight against the beasties and the like.what i want to know is what do i have to put in it besides the water any particular things like plants or gravel in the bottom? or just leave it to nature? has anyone got one? any advice would be appreciated. :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Bath pond
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:17 »
Make sure thats there is a way for things to crawl in and out on eg rocks or a log, if you let nature take it's course it will eventually settle down, but I'd be tempted to look for some native plants, water buttercup etc to start it off. If you can get a jar full of water from a pond that should help add minute water life  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 14:03 »
Will there be any problem with stagnant water. I have a bath to collect the rain water and its gone a very funny green colour.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 14:38 »
As long as it has enough water in it and you encourage some pond life in there and plants there shouldn't be any problem with it going stagnant. I might take a while before it gets settled down properly and go a bit cloudy for a while but as long as it doesn't get loads of nutrients washed in from the lotty it should clear up nicely in the end.

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 16:29 »
You could try some oxygenator plant to help combat the water going green.  I strongly agree with putting plants etc in that enable wildlife to get out of the pond (Ideally with a pond I think you need to have one end shallower than the other to enable this), not only for the intended wildlife but also for the accidental arrivals eg hedgehog or birds (you don't want them to drown if they can't get out).  Please also consider netting your bath/pond when the baby birds are around in case any fall in.  As for plants, it could be a good idea to avoid yellow iris - its really pretty BUT we have it in our pond and it gets really dominant and trying to thin it out is a challenge!!  :)

kinola

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:31 »
an old stocking full of barley straw and weighted down will help keep it clear - ours is lovely now the flowers are blooming - our lotty neighbour tidied up her home pond and saved some of the plants for us! Layer of earth at the bottom for the wee beasties to live/hide in something to help them climb in and out   - I love ponds! LOL
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

xx
HELP, pond pump drained my pond

Started by Clarky86 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 08:04
by JayG
xx
My pond

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 20:54
by JayG
xx
my pond

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 21:15
by new_2_veg
xx
New Pond

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 16:34
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 28 queries.