First annuals sowed - it's started!!!

• 16 Replies

Sweetpea C

First annuals sowed - it's started!!!
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:37 »
I gave my friend some sweetpeas for a large tub in her garden. She didn't pick any so they have all gone to seed. I popped by yesterday to find they were starting to drop so I saved them, brought them home and popped the ones that were sprouting (I'm sure there is a proper word but I know what I mean) into loo rolls. So that is all jolly exciting! Next years cut flowers have started  :D. Wallflowers are planted out too - look a bit straggly but I'm sure they will be fine. Oh how I love this growing lark!

Anyone else started yet? Higgledy garden has a good piece on what seeds to sow in Autumn. Very exciting indeed.

http://higgledygarden.com/
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: First annuals sowed - it's started!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 13:06 »
I have seeds of poppies, antirrhinums, mallow and sweetpeas ready to go, plus some bright blue phacelia which I got as a gift, plus calendula and godetia I just remembered  :lol:

This is the week they'll be in the ground  :D :D

I agree, it is exciting isn't it??  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sweetpea C

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 15:52 »
I have seeds of poppies, antirrhinums, mallow and sweetpeas ready to go, plus some bright blue phacelia which I got as a gift, plus calendula and godetia I just remembered  :lol:

This is the week they'll be in the ground  :D :D

I agree, it is exciting isn't it??  :D

Oooh, I'm sorting my seeds this week for a mad sowing session next weekend - caledula and godetia are new for me this year :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 18:43 »
Make sure you don't choose dwarf calendula -- I had some and it was only 6ins tall and looked a bit silly in comparison to the glorious billowing full height plants that have kept me supplied with vases full of flowers for months   :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 20:36 »
oooh. This is helpful- I don't do flowers at all, (well only Holyhocks coz I love them) but I happen to have some poppies and antirrhinum seeds given to me.  You module them in greenhouse or just scatter outside?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 16:42 »
Does this apply to any hardy annual?

Hardy Perennial seed even?

I'd quite like to start some things off this Autumn, so that they are a good size (i.e. better than sown next Spring) next year ... but I was wondering if some species will object to low light during the winter.  They'll be in the greenhouse, so either not abominably cold or they can be in the frost-free bit

Sweetpea C

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 17:55 »
There is a lot of guidance on here, as well as a collection of seeds to sow now. I've ordered from this company, very good personal service :-)

http://higgledygarden.com/products-page/seeds/seeds-to-sow-in-autumn/

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 18:29 »
Thanks, I had read that post, but it just refers to a dozen specific hardy annuals and I wasn't sure of that could be scaled up to "any hardy annual" or "all hardy annuals that fit Type-A".

I'm happy to just have a go, but some of the seed packets I have only have a few seeds in them and don't want to risk them as experiments :)

wighty

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 19:51 »
I grew antirruhum(sp) from seed last year really spindly things that did nothing, forgot to pull them up but this year they have flowered  all summer and have given us a really good show. Neighbours have commented on our front garden.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 20:05 »
I've discovered alovely calendula called flash back a mix of beautiful colours self set for the 3rd year.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Sweetpea C

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 20:36 »
Thanks, I had read that post, but it just refers to a dozen specific hardy annuals and I wasn't sure of that could be scaled up to "any hardy annual" or "all hardy annuals that fit Type-A".

I'm happy to just have a go, but some of the seed packets I have only have a few seeds in them and don't want to risk them as experiments :)

Have you managed to harvest any seeds from your annuals? I've ordered new flowers from BH but I have loads of cerinthe, malope vulcan, nicotiana & of course sweet peas that I have harvested this year. PM me with your address and I'll happily share with you!!!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 00:18 »
Have you managed to harvest any seeds from your annuals? I've ordered new flowers from BH but I have loads of cerinthe, malope vulcan, nicotiana & of course sweet peas that I have harvested this year. PM me with your address and I'll happily share with you!!!
That's very kind, thanks!  I have harvested seed of the ones I grow & love, but I'm also after some rather unusual things for next year.  Well ... to be more correct I've got fully carried away, as per usual!, ordering a ridiculous number of packets of things that will no doubt be trouble, require more seed trays and pots than I own, and way more growing space than I have! I'm keen to try giving some of them a kick start by autumn sowing.

I've got a plant of Nicotiana sylvestris (which I love :) ) that is a good 7' tall ... if the seed of that comes true I will be very happy indeed  8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:16 by Kristen »

Sweetpea C

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:01 »
That's very find, thanks!  I have harvested seed of the ones I grow & love, but I'm also after some rather unusual things for next year.  Well ... to be more correct I've got fully carried away, as per usual!, ordering a ridiculous number of packets of things that will no doubt be trouble, require more seed trays and pots than I own, and way more growing space than I have! I'm keen to try giving some of them a kick start by autumn sowing.

I've got a plant of Nicotiana sylvestris (which I love :) ) that is a good 7' tall ... if the seed of that comes true I will be very happy indeed  8)

Lol, pleased its not just me that's ordered enough for a floristry business see then! ..... Now there's a thought!

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:55 by Yorkie »

Sweetpea C

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36 »
Sunshineband - do you have a dedicated cutting patch? Any tips? I have 2 borders that I have cleared and this is the first year for an actual 'cutting garden'. I'm also using some space at the allotment too because I have a lot that I haven't cleared yet. Oh the joy of planning. I'm just working out where to put the tulips (all 150 of them... ???)!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04 »
do you have a dedicated cutting patch? Any tips? I have 2 borders that I have cleared and this is the first year for an actual 'cutting garden'.
I have a few bays at the edge of the veg patch. Sweetpeas and Gladioli mainly.  All the Tulips from the tubs, in front of the house, go in there too after a couple of years flowering duties, and they then get cut for the house.

I have thought of growing Dahlias for cut flower too. I don't have any annuals for cutting though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:12 by Kristen »

xx
I have read about annuals.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2023, 17:45
by Kleftiwallah
xx
self seeding annuals?

Started by Sheena on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 17:08
by milkman
xx
Planting Annuals

Started by Gail on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 13:43
by Gail
xx
Am I too late to sow hardy annuals?

Started by fekq on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 18:49
by Plot22

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 36 queries.