Dog attack... ;(

• 4 Replies

MrTwang

Dog attack... ;(
« on: April 16, 2012, 20:56 »
Typical... We live in a sleepy cul-de-sac and today a small dog managed to get off the lead and into the garden.

Don't think it got the girls, just scared them.

While they were trying to get away, Ginge has damaged her beak and has a tiny amount of blood on her leg from where a feather has been ripped out.
I have sorted out the leg with wound power and purple spray but her beak has dried (the blood) and the top part of the front (the pointy pecker bit) looks to be missing a bit.

Will this ever grow back?

Also she is really glum and just sits on her own. She kept closing her eyes and doing something that looked very sad with her beak. Another thing that worries me is she's the bottom of the pecking order.. Will this make her more of a target?
Should I remove her from the rest? She's not eating or drinking much either...

One of the others went and pecked out one of her feathers and she barely made a sound or moved. Feel so helpless for her...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:57 by argyllie »

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: Dog attack... ;(
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:54 »
Hi i dont think the beak will grow back but it wont bother her in any way, most ex batts have there beaks cut to stop them fether pecking, she will still be in shock just give her time she should be fine and back to her self  :)
Chicken crazy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:29 »
Try to tempt her with some mash made with her pellets and boiling water then let it cool.  This will be easier for her to eat and will provide water at the same time. 

If she is a young bird her beak may grow.  When they debeak they usually do it at day old and then again at a few months old.

There might be suggestions on here how to treat her for shock but I would think that after getting her to eat putting her in the coop where it is quiet and warm should help.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

MrTwang

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 13:37 »
Thank you for the replys.

She's now eating again! Although only since yesterday lunch time..

I made up a big bowl of mash for all of them as she wouldn't have got any otherwise!
They completely turned their noses up at it! Spoilt little brats.. If I had put meal worms in it they would have gone crazy for it...

I'll still keep an eye on her anyway. She was running from one end of the garden to the other earlier just having fun so She can't be that bad anymore!

Paul.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 13:47 »
They must be too posh to nosh the mash.  My holligans would take your arm off when you try to put the bowl down.   ::)

xx
Cat attack

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 11:47
by Snoop
xx
Hen Attack

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 23:29
by Chicken star
xx
Fox attack

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 09:23
by Robert_S
sad
Dog attack

Started by judrop on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:42
by Hayley'sHens

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.