Growster's graunched greenhouse...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Growster's graunched greenhouse...
« on: May 13, 2013, 20:46 »
A few months ago, a determined Growster was planning to bring back a treasured cedar greenhouse from the brink, and build-in a new foundation system, to keep it out of the mire.

Alas, a closer inspection showed so much rotten wood, that the old thing's death warrant was signed a few minutes before we clicked on a new aluminium one, which was delivered within a week or so!

From all good people here, we had a lot of help and advice, all of which would have worked very well, had the dear old frame not been riddled with rot, and the joints were even worse than my knees, so I'm sorry for getting everyone up on their hind legs, but the glass proved to be holding it up last Saturday, so it came down with a big bump!

The replacement is a 10' x 6' Eden Hall green chap, with a metal base, and horticultural glass, so it should see us out, but reading ideas from others here on foundations, got us thinking, so we'll be laying slabs for the foundation (properly this time), so we can grow the toms and cuces and peppers in containers with no fear of the soil being contaminated with last year's blight spores!

The downside is that Mrs Growster has decided that the old brick steps I'd built to enable us to get into the old chap, are now redundant, and she wants a verdant lettuce slope built instead... (I didn't see that one coming, those steps took me ages to lay, back in 1997)!

There are benefits in space as well, as we'll turn the new chap through 90 degrees, so there will be two long sides for more toms, and even more space outside for the 'Black Krim' toms, which are going to steal the show this year!

I hope my Meccano skills stand the test of time, come the weekend...;0)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 20:48 by Growster... »

snowdrops

Re: Growster's graunched greenhouse...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 20:49 »
That sounds fab Growster. I hope you & Mrs G have many happy tomato moments in there :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 20:57 »
That sounds fab Growster. I hope you & Mrs G have many happy tomato moments in there :D

There's always the chance of a little 'nudging' here and there, Snows..;0)

I've promised to make her some staging for her treasured chill peppers, so in fact, I can rescue the old cedar staging for one end - possibly a side, I'm not sure yet!

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:59 »
Well, you have your work cut out! That should keep you out of mischief for a while! I wonder what other little plans Mrs G has not mentioned yet? ;) A lettuce slope sounds rather grand. I noticed whilst painting my shed the other day that I too will have problems soon, although it is on slabs, it seems also to be on some sort of wooden frame which is rapidly rotting. I have no idea at all what I can do about it other than dismantle the shed. A little more planning when installing things would doubtlessly save a lot of time and hassle in the future.
I hope it all goes smoothly at the weekend. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:15 »
oooh! a nice shiny and big greenhouse to play in  8)

Once you're past the building it stage  :ohmy: you'll enjoy it  :D

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:36 »
It really was our last chance to get organised, as although I'd rummaged around the foundation bearers for ages, I just didn't realise how bad the old thing was, and we have so many plants to go in there, including Mrs G's prized chillis!

We should have started saving up much earlier of course, but, at least this one should last long enough...

I reckon I've got a week to get it up and running..;0)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:40 »
Actually Ann, the slope is just a natural contour, which has been here forever, it's just that for the first time, it's going to be dug and used properly!

On your shed, can you literally nail or screw some boards - even scaffold boards, to the outside at ground level? You can treat them and make them look the same colour! It does help that it is on slabs of course!

If you have a pic, then we may be able to help work out a cunning plan?

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 16:07 »
Ah! That is a useful tip and might work. I will try and work out the whole taking a photo and getting it on here thing. I don't really 'do' technology! And my DIY is not much better, but I could probably bodge up some boards around the bottom of the shed. :unsure: :)

xx
The 'Growster' Wheel Hoe...

Started by Growster... on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 20:37
by Growster...
xx
Growster's 'Woofer' in action...

27 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 08:49
by sunshineband
xx
For those about to dibble, the 'Growster' Foot-Operated Dibbler...

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 20:48
by Growster...
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Pugsly on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2023, 09:31
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.