Cockerels and complaints

• 14 Replies

peter rooster

Cockerels and complaints
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:03 »
What do people think happens to cockerels, yet again another two of my “hens” have started to full blown crow >:( along with the full grown crop. I am now down from 8 to 2 of the chicks I bought from Selby market :mad:. I was hoping to have them for Christmas but the crowing got to early and to loud even with blinds on the shed windows. Nothing for it but to put in the freezer for latter.
Just after the deed was complete and they had been put in the freezer I got a call from the end of my garden “Peter its your cockerels they are making to much noise in the morning and waking up my husband” :blush:  I said“don't worry they are in the freezer” next “were have you put them “ I said“in the freezer for eating” the reply “O NO I only wanted you to keep the quiet what will yo do with them now” I replied “well eat them” “ how can you eat you own chickens :)

What do people think you do with noisy cockerels, what ever happens nearly all get eaten.

I am watching the other two “girls” now to see if they change :ohmy: or start to lay. Next time I will either buy point of lay or get eggs to hatch that I know have not been sexed prior to sale.

Peter Rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

bantam novice

Re: Cockerels and complaints
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:13 »
I think if everyone had to do their own butchering most of the country would be vegetarian!  It's nothing like the sanitised plastic-covered and Plastic tasting meat that you can buy from a supermarket.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

peter rooster

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 16:23 »
If only they could taste real fresh homegrown chicken  ::)and compare it with the supermarket stuff without the flavouring and addertives added to it :nowink:.

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 16:49 »
i dont want to kill my birds but i know where my meat comes from and so i now only buy high quality meat from a local butcher. The sad thing is i dont think other people care where there food is from so long as it looks good on the shelf, i eat far less meat now then i used to mostly because the price of the meat from the butchers is so high, i also have a few friends that go hunting and bring over the odd whole duck here and there i see nothing wrong with plucking it myself at least i know where its from and its yummy :D

evie2

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 17:42 »
As a child, chicken was an occasional Sunday meal, the preferred one being beef which was always a 2 day meal and we only ate meat about 4 times a week, 1 of those would be corned beef from a can, lorn sausage for stovies and a chump chop as a treat on a Saturday tea.

there's too much poor quality, tasteless, cheap meat about.

A friend had a neighbour complain about her cockerel crowing at 3am one summer which woke their new born baby up, nothing to do with the fact it was a new born baby ??? :nowink:

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 19:20 »
I am afraid the only chicken I buy and eat now has to be covered in bread crumbs.  Hubby still lamenting the Roast Chicken dinner he used  to enjoy.  I cant even eat the fish that we very occassionally catch and they are strangers  :nowink:
Jinty

peter rooster

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:24 »
Hi

Until this year for the last 22 years the only meat I ate was what I shot. I gave up on farmed meat on how it was kept, feed, and killed >:(. The game I shot had lived free for a long time was well fed and killed as quickly as I can. It is normally lean though can put fat on for the winter as nature intended and free to roam.

This year I have eaten chicken MINE they were a little young as people complained on crowing but I knew how they had lived, what they ate and how they died :(. I was going to take to market but then would have not known what happened to them. I would have ducked the responcibility. It was not easy to kill things I had raised from chicks but they tasted good. My sons girlfriend was pleased when two more started to crow, "good more chicken to eat :).

mintymoos

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 18:06 »
hi, i actually got 2  grey orpington ( turns out they`re not orpies at all) pullets from selby at easter, they developed massive red headgear, and started crowing, stretching necks out and really going for it, we were literally on  the verge of dipatching them and thay started laying!, i know it doesn`t happen often that hens crow etc, but it may be worth hanging on a little longer if you can :)
someone keeps stealing time when i`m not looking.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 18:12 »
some hens are very, very noisy  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 19:36 »
Ha ha you should of heard the racket off mine this morning.  I thought a cat or something was trying to murder them!!!!  Rushed outside just in time to see the garden broom slowly getting blown down in the wind. They were screaming blue murder and I had to feed them some sweetcorn to calm the poor wee stressed things down.  Who's daft???  :wub:
Jinty

evie2

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 20:04 »
Our first hens were very noisy, the ones we have now are more refined ( they come from Huddersfield)and don't tell the neighbourhood they've laid  :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 20:10 by evie2 »

Junie

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 21:36 »
When I had a cockerel ( before he became too aggressive) he used to crow, one neighbours crowed back, then another neighbours joined in, lovely to hear, now enjoy listening to the neighbour's though, they are some way away though and would not wake me up!!

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 21:57 »
Huddersfield ha ha ha  :D  :D  :D Will be laughing in my bed  :D  :D
Jinty

jinty1911

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 22:06 »
As a child, chicken was an occasional Sunday meal, the preferred one being beef which was always a 2 day meal and we only ate meat about 4 times a week, 1 of those would be corned beef from a can, lorn sausage for stovies and a chump chop as a treat on a Saturday tea.

there's too much poor quality, tasteless, cheap meat about.

A friend had a neighbour complain about her cockerel crowing at 3am one summer which woke their new born baby up, nothing to do with the fact it was a new born baby ??? :nowink:

Lorne Sausage for Stovies? Take it your mummy was Scottish?  :D
Jinty

evie2

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 19:57 »
Yes Jinty, as am I :D just down here on missionary work :lol: Still have my soft Glasgow accent, don't want to be the talk of the steamy now do I ::) :lol:

xx
COCKERELS

Started by rooster booster on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 09:53
by rooster booster
xx
cockerels

Started by samuria on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 19:12
by samuria
xx
are they cockerels

Started by bluemaran on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 08:45
by poppies
xx
cockerels

Started by andy8313 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 12:10
by gypsyjanet

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.