Can Wild birds spread diseases?

• 8 Replies

jinty1911

Can Wild birds spread diseases?
« on: October 20, 2010, 20:45 »
Just a bit worried as we seem to have lots of them in the garden now and they go into the run for the corn thats left about when my chicks are out in the garden (mainly Sparrows).  Not that chicks are out that often at the mo as 2 are still broody.  Just wondered? 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Can Wild birds spread diseases?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 21:26 »
Yes they can spread diseases and parasites but there's not much you can do about it.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 21:30 »
I understand that wild birds can also transfer the dreaded Red Mite. I would certainly discourage the wild birds rom going into your hens run by trying your best not to leave any food lying on the ground. I know, easier said than done!

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 21:38 »
We had to cover the entire top of the run with chicken wire to stop the wild birds from getting in.  We were inundated with wild birds - especially jack daws, crows etc.  I was worried about diseases they might be bringing in with them.  The added bonus is that we are going through a fraction of the food!
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 20:26 »
Have read somewhere about the red mite problem from wild birds but dont understand it as the mites dont live on the birds so how can they spread it?  :wacko:
Jinty

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 20:42 »
I can only assume that there are the occasional 'laggers' first thing in the morning that do not get off the bird before it leave the nest or roost in the morning.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 20:50 »
I understand that wild birds can also transfer the dreaded Red Mite. I would certainly discourage the wild birds rom going into your hens run by trying your best not to leave any food lying on the ground. I know, easier said than done!

I did wonder about red mite and the decline of the house sparrow . Having seen the effect red mite can have on a healthy hen i thought that sparrow nestlings would probably not survive.
I think that there is no chance of keeping wild birds from passing pests and diseases to the hens unless you keep them indoors 24/7.
Even with no food available the wild birds will still be sitting on the run roof preening and dropping little "messages".

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 20:06 »
Well there are plenty of sparrows in my garden but have noticed a decline in Starlings though. There used to be masses of them about.  One of my neighbours throws scraps into his back garden every day so we are unindated with seagulls and crows screeching at 6am every morning but havent noticed them in our garden.  Think they are only interested in the chicken carcasses he chucks them  :ohmy: and not a wee bit of spare corn.  At least the neighbours cant complain about any noise from my chicks Ha Ha
Jinty 

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:11 »
Well there are plenty of sparrows in my garden but have noticed a decline in Starlings though. There used to be masses of them about.  One of my neighbours throws scraps into his back garden every day so we are unindated with seagulls and crows screeching at 6am every morning but havent noticed them in our garden.  Think they are only interested in the chicken carcasses he chucks them  :ohmy: and not a wee bit of spare corn.  At least the neighbours cant complain about any noise from my chicks Ha Ha
Jinty 

Keep an eye open for rats, if the neighbour is putting out scraps like that they will turn up sooner or later.

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
Keeping wild birds out

Started by CWatters on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 21:05
by hennyandpenny
xx
Wild Birds & Chickens

Started by rufty on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 17:11
by Geo
xx
Territorial chickens and wild birds

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 10:20
by linzechris

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.