Poorly chickie

• 12 Replies

LilySara

Poorly chickie
« on: October 19, 2010, 19:15 »
We have 3 ex-batts that we adopted in August.  All 3 were doing well, but one of them - Rosie, who seemed the healthiest when we got them is off-colour.

She's not eating well and seems  a bit grumpy - she's not been as active as usual.  She also has a dirty vent and poo is tan coloured and squishy.  She's still laying normally and has bright eyes and red comb and wattles.

Any suggestions what might be causing it?
Any recommendations for a reliable vet in Radcliffe/Whitefield/North Manchester - I know any illness can get serious in a short time. 

Thanks

bantam novice

Re: Poorly chickie
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 20:23 »
Hello LilySara and welcome to the forum  :)

Sorry to hear about your hen.  I am not that experienced and I'm sure that others will be along to chip in.

Have you wormed your hens? 
Is her crop squishy or hard? 
Does she have a temperature?  You can tell this if you feel under the wing of one of your other girls then under her wing to compare.

I know there is information about chicken-friendly vets and I'm sure someone will post the link.

In the meatime good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 15:05 »
Have you looked at the poo pictures it might give you some idea on what the trouble is.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 15:53 »
As bantam novice said "Have they been wormed ?"  We recommend flubenvet.

If she feels warm under her wing as b n asked then she may have an intestinal bacterial infection for which the vet can prescribe some antibiotics.

This is our vets list:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26140.0

LilySara

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 19:17 »
Thank you for your comments, everyone. 

Rosie's poo has gone milky today and the tips of her comb are purplish.  We're quite worried about her now.  :(

Our hens had all been health-checked and wormed when we got them.  How often should it be done?   

Sadly, none of the vets on the list are anywhere remotely near here, but we rang our local Vets for Pets, and though they said they don't do chickens, they recommended Pennine Vets in Tottington, it's still a trek, but they sound reliable and did say they're good with chickens. 

Rosie's booked in Friday morning. 

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 21:41 »
Good luck at the vets.  :)
Keep us posted.

LilySara

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 07:25 »
Thanks, will do.    :)

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:20 »
Good luck.

LilySara

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 16:20 »
Sadly, Rosie never made it to the vets.  She passed away in her sleep during the night.
My children are very upset, this is the first time they've encountered death for real.   :(

Rosie is buried under a birch sapling in one of her favourite parts of the garden for scratching.

It's sad we lost her so soon, but at least we gave her a few weeks of peace, freedom and contentment after being rescued. 

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 17:36 »
sadly exbatts can come with all sorts of problems - including stress and kidney problems as they are often put on reduced rations of feed and water in preparation for them being slaughtered so please do not feel too bad - you took her from a horrid life and gave her a time of being free and being able to be a chicken xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 19:28 »
Oh LilySara I'm so sorry to hear about Rosie.  :(

I can only echo what Joyfull says.  You have at least given her a time when she can behave like a chicken and be free.  RIP Rosie.

Although your children are upset (understandably) I think that they will also learn from this and it will make them stronger.  Death is a taboo subject and it may give them a chance to talk about it. 

The burial will give them a chance to move on.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 21:11 »
So sorry to hear of your loss LilySara.  I can only echo what everyone else has said. Thoughts are with you and your children.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Jeanette

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 12:25 »
I am so sorry it is heartbreaking to have one die. You gave her a great life while you had her.
When i have a pet that has died i always tell my grandchildren ( Age 4 and 1) that they have gone to be a star so when they see a star out they should give it a wave because that is the pet looking down at them, it works everytime for me.

xx
Dead Chickie! :(

Started by RosiePosie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 13:40
by myfanwe
xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly leg

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 21:49
by jo40
xx
Is my hen poorly?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 09:21
by kegs

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.