Poland chickens suffering from swollen shut eyes.

• 3 Replies

Fransoire

Poland chickens suffering from swollen shut eyes.
« on: January 05, 2010, 18:45 »
Hi i have got a range of poland chickens and have had for a few years. However with how the weather has been i'm having trouble with their crests, as they appear to be affecting their eyes. 2 of them have their eyes shut and cannot open them and one has just the one eye, but their crest are in a mess.
i have been bathing them with salt water, but wondered does any one have any advice on what i can do to make them more comfortable. I have trimmed the crests back so that they are not afffecting their vision, but fear they will not be getting food. I have been feeding them as much as i can but when i am not arund they cannot see their water.
any advice??

Foxy

Re: Poland chickens suffering from swollen shut eyes.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 20:58 »
If you have trimmed their crests and their eyes are still gummed up, it might be worth using an antibiotic ointment on them, or oral antibiotics plus an ointment to help hydrate and keep their eyes moist and comfortable.
They could either have an irritation causes by the weather and the problem with their crests becoming frozen, infection or both.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 23:26 »
you can tie their crests up in a bow, Some breeders do this prior to a show.

It is really important to keep this breed in particular DRY and free from drafts. Once they get very wet, they seem to go downhill very fast. Are they coughing or sneezing at all? Are their nostrils clear? I agree that using something like chloramphenicol eye drops/brolene eye ointment may help, but it might be a bit late for just this, and a systemic antibiotic from the vet may be indicated.

Above all, keep them dry and warm, maybe wrap their run in polythene or lay some spare wood across the top. Sorry, it is difficult to suggest without knowing more.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:55 »
they are prone to eye infections, you may need a course of antibiotics.............. ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=47459.msg557980#msg557980

xx
Swollen eye 'glued' shut - help please

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2016, 09:39
by ghost61
xx
Sick Hen - swollen body and foaming eyes

Started by Kenwest on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 21:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
Do your chickens live outside but not shut up?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 21:53
by rosie14
xx
chickens eyes

Started by leared on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 15:11
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.