Sudden death of chicken

• 1 Replies
Sudden death of chicken
« on: April 06, 2021, 22:33 »
Hi all.

I've had a horrible experience today when one of my chickens suddenly died in my hands.

Sh had been hiding in her house the entire day and was clearly ill. I decided to get her out of the nest she was in to give her water and to isolate from the other ladies. While giving her water (water and a few drops of a vitamin/amino acid/molasses mix for sick and recovering animals) ,  I gave her a couple of drops and allowed her to rest and swallow and she suddenly went ridged, with head drawn back and beak to the sky and legs flailing. She Los control of her bowels too. In the space of 5 or 10 seconds she was gone.

I don't be believe she had choked as I have syringe fed before and was really working drop by drop. Is this a seizure or could she havechoked in such a sudden quick turn. I know it's too late for her but I'd quite like to know what happened to the poor thing.

Many thanks.

Best. Geard

grinling

Re: Sudden death of chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 21:08 »
I wouldn't have thought it was the syringe.
I had a bantam, who was off colour etc. I held her in my arms and she went stiff then head flopped over and stuff oozed out of her mouth. I had the chickens, which were from another allotmenter, for about 2 months, it was awful.
Was she showing any noticeable symptons before all this?

xx
Sudden death

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 13:25
by Prod
xx
Hen's sudden death

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 15:12
by Alby
xx
Sudden Death!!!

Started by hannah on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 17:12
by kimT
xx
Sudden Death

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 16:08
by barley

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 35 queries.