Various queries again!!! Advice needed.

• 27 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Various queries again!!! Advice needed.
« on: January 31, 2012, 14:15 »
Hi everyone

I feel I am a little in limbo at the moment with the allotment.  I have done little jobs like washing pots, and tidying up.  Its my first year.  I have 5 clear beds so far, with a few small weeds to pick out.  I have plans for a 4 year crop rotation.  But the soil just looks waterlogged and clayey at the moment, I cant imagine it ever having stuff growing in them.  I haven’t dug or raked it yet as it has been permanently saturated and muddy.

When I looked at the month by month planner it looks like soil should be sat ready and prepared for spring planting, but I cant get a right time to dig it over.  I am in Manchester and it has been raining constantly.  I suppose the main thing is the beds are cleared of 3 year old weeds, I guess so that’s good.  I think I just have a bit of allotment envy at my neighbours!  I have read digging wet soil can disturb and damage the soil so I have left it undug. 

Furthermore I don’t have any well rotted manure, only bags of compost, which I believe will be suffice for my potato bed.

Brassicas – I have some lime and will dig some compost when I can eventually dig

Peas and Legumes – these sound like they are hardy so if I just fertilise with some blood fish bone will that be ok?

Roots – I plan on blood fish bone 2 weeks before sowing.

I don’t have a compost yet, we need to build one.

I will have 2 spare beds, I don’t know what to do with these, any creative ideas welcome, but I have enough on my plate with the above I guess!

Cheers
Amanda.

stompy

Re: Various queries again!!! Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 14:28 »
As for the waterlogging, don't worry about it, like you've said it's been raining constantly where you are so it's bound to be very wet.

I wouldn't bother digging at the moment, by the sounds of it you could do to cover the beds with black plastic to firstly stop anymore water going into them and secondly stop any weed growth, you can then plant straight through the plastic in your first year, and you could just add compost to the planting holes this year too instead of trying to apply it over the whole plot!

As for the other 2  beds how about a squash bed and a potatoe bed? both easy to grow and look after.

Stompy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 14:32 »
Plenty of time to sort the soil out, you certainly don't want to be digging when it's this wet.
Manure certainly helps keep the soil in good shape, but don't panic if you haven't got any.
Once you get going make sure you start collecting as much stuff as you can to make your own compost. You could start collecting your kitchen peelings and tea bagsetc now, it will all help to fill that bin when you've made it :)

You could grow courgettes, and/or squash/pumpkins in your spare beds.

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 14:37 »
Great advice thankyou.  I have some black fabric, its weed suppressant. will that do to stop it getting damper?

I am collecting kitchen waste, done my reading up on that too, just sticking in a bucket on the allotment.

Amanda

stompy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 14:40 »
The black weed supressant won't stop the water but it will stop the weeds.
It's designed to let water through.

Im sure that once the rain stops you woll find the soil in good condition, just look at the other plots around yours.

Are they waterlogged?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 14:42 »
I agree, the plots always look a bit sad at this time of year and it's a bit frustrating to have to wait for things to warm/dry up so that we can get on! But don't worry, there is plenty of time yet. Then, before you know it, Easter will be here and you will be rushed off your feet til September  :D

You could always put some flower bulbs (dahlias etc) in the spare beds for cut flowers...
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 14:48 »
Hi Amanda
Don't worry about it being wet at the moment as it has put a lot of rain down recently in our part of the world. Unless you are on seriously bad ground it should dry out come spring and there's no real need to plant anything before then. In your vacant beds you could grow potatoes and squash as recommended by stompy. New potatoes are definitely worth growing as they will help break up your soil however they shouldn't be planted until late March or early April due to possible frost damage. In another bed you could grow onions, shallots, garlic and leeks all of which are from the same family. If you grow squash then you could grow courgettes in the same bed. Strawberries and rhubarb could also be grown if they are to your taste. Have a good think about plant protection as some crops get bothered with pests i.e. brassicas (cabbage white butterflies, root fly and pigeons), carrots (carrot root fly). Lots of people use enviromesh but it can be pricey, an alternative is to use building site debris netting if you can get hold of some. I would definitely get a compost heap going and start filling it up with whatever good stuff you can get your hands on over the coming months in readiness for next year.

Best advice is just to take your time and you will surprised how quickly you can fill a plot, You will have a good 3 months of planting from March - May. Don't worry about a few failures we all have them. Its the best way to learn.

Good Luck

stompy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 14:59 »
Hi Amanda
Don't worry about it being wet at the moment as it has put a lot of rain down recently in our part of the world. Unless you are on seriously bad ground it should dry out come spring and there's no real need to plant anything before then. In your vacant beds you could grow potatoes and squash as recommended by stompy. New potatoes are definitely worth growing as they will help break up your soil however they shouldn't be planted until late March or early April due to possible frost damage. In another bed you could grow onions, shallots, garlic and leeks all of which are from the same family. If you grow squash then you could grow courgettes in the same bed. Strawberries and rhubarb could also be grown if they are to your taste. Have a good think about plant protection as some crops get bothered with pests i.e. brassicas (cabbage white butterflies, root fly and pigeons), carrots (carrot root fly). Lots of people use enviromesh but it can be pricey, an alternative is to use building site debris netting if you can get hold of some. I would definitely get a compost heap going and start filling it up with whatever good stuff you can get your hands on over the coming months in readiness for next year.

Best advice is just to take your time and you will surprised how quickly you can fill a plot, You will have a good 3 months of planting from March - May. Don't worry about a few failures we all have them. Its the best way to learn.

Good Luck

Very good and level headed advice that we could all do to listen to at this time of year  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 18:06 »
I haven't done any digging yet, and always stay off the soil if it sticks to my boots - it damages the soil structure to walk on it in that state.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 18:37 »
I go against the advice of lots of members here and cover my beds with heavyweight black plastic sheets,  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:weighed down with wooden planks and bricks about now, so that when the temperatures are right, the soil is ready to go.

Any remaining surface weed seeds will have germinated and are easy to clear, soil is like those photos you refer to Amanda

All perennial weeds are out, compost spread under the plastic

I know the arguement about lack of air to the soil -- it is not sealed down, now, is it?

It werks fer me, and werks well  :D :D

Each makes their own choice.

Just thought I'd share what I does  :wacko:

(gets coat and leaves quickly  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 19:26 »
(gets coat and leaves quickly  ) 

are you off to hide under the plastic  :unsure:  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 19:28 »
(gets coat and leaves quickly  ) 

are you off to hide under the plastic  :unsure:  :nowink:

No I shall stand up and be counted  :lol: :lol: :lol:

My name is Sunny and I use blackplastic sheeting  :ohmy: ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 19:35 »
one.........................I'm counting!

Haven't got very far  :unsure:

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 21:21 »
I agree with sunshineband, black plastic  :D. Other uses than at the lotty, ;) however, used as a weed suppressant great! it not only kills the perrenial weeds, if you use it during the summer months for covering an unused area it will destroy weed seeds by the build up of heat underneath, but keep your hands clear the moisture could be near boiling ???

gobs

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 22:27 »
I do not think Amanda does have a need for any gimmics of black plastic or wotnot. She has cleared the plot and bored, now more like it sounds.

Mandy, you can come over, lodge a bit and feel free to wash some pots here too. :lol:

Seriously, that's the job now and building your composter. Otherwise, idle, mostly for a while. Not too long though.

You could put out a drop-down of what and how much you are doing to while your idle hours away. I wonder, where all that spare space is coming from? And what was the size of them beds?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
advice needed please

Started by maelyn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 19:33
by maelyn
xx
Advice needed please.

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 09:52
by Lynne
xx
advice needed

Started by toadstool on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 18:31
by sunshineband
xx
Serious Veg advice needed.

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 18:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 40 queries.