Aphids!

• 12 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Aphids!
« on: May 27, 2019, 21:34 »
Is it just me, or is there a much larger problem with blackfly and whitefly  this year?
Seems I have them on just about every fruiting plant I have!  :ohmy:

Can anyone recommend a good 'organic' solution to getting rid of them? Particularly if you have had success and have a proven method that does not involve pesticides/chemicals.
Thanks,

Elaine G

Re: Aphids!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 23:13 »
Yes I agree there seem to be many more this year. Never a ladybird around when you need one!

I don't have an organic solution. However I did use Provado ultimate bug killer on my brand new/expensive climbing rose  :(

I will be interested to hear any solutions, before my lupins give up the ghost. Washing up liquid has had little effect.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Didiaskew

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:20 »
I've bought live ladybirds for my poly tunnel before now and they worked really well, there seems to be quite a few around naturally where we are so I haven't bothered this year. The down side is price they are usually around £18 for 25 I'd still recommend them though.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 06:24 »
Our plot is teeming with ladybirds but they seem to prefer noodling about around the carrots than noshing the blackfly infesting my broad beans. Still, keeps my 3 year old busy, transferring them over. £18 for 25 ladybirds; I might go into business!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 14:45 »
Dissolve one teaspoon of washing up liquid in a litre of water and spray the green/white/blackfly. It kills them on contact and leaves your plants sparklingly clean  :D

Seriously it does work and it doesnt involve any nasty chemicals. You do have to actually get the spray on to the pests and if the infestation is heavy you will no doubt have to repeat it.

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 19:42 »
Grubbypaws do you know if this is OK on sweet peas?
Most of the commercial sprays say not to use on sweet peas.

Thanks
Elaine

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 12:17 »
Grubbypaws do you know if this is OK on sweet peas?
Most of the commercial sprays say not to use on sweet peas.

Thanks
Elaine

Sorry Elaine but I don't know as I don't grow them. My gut feeling is that it would be fine. Maybe someone else on the forum can help or maybe you could try it on one plant to see.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 21:23 »
Dissolve one teaspoon of washing up liquid in a litre of water and spray the green/white/blackfly. It kills them on contact and leaves your plants sparklingly clean  :D

Seriously it does work and it doesnt involve any nasty chemicals. You do have to actually get the spray on to the pests and if the infestation is heavy you will no doubt have to repeat it.

It's important to note that methods such as this do not discriminate between the pest and the beneficials: the very insect you need to encourage in your garden: the effective, non-interventionalist approach.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

lettice

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 08:20 »
Rarely get blackfly on my broad beans and last three years have seen almost nil.
I plant marigolds right next to where they grow in a raised pot, spray them when first setting about once a week with a water and soap spray and when the flowers appear remove the tops.
Being on the coast, the old boys always tell me that Blackfly tend to be more prevalent inland

My Dad about 8 miles north of me and inland, does always get a overnight heavy attack of blackfly. He uses a water and soap spray and that stalls them. That does the trick with again a weekly dose of spray. He also pinches out the tops.

Do know some others that grow nasturtium close by, as the blackfly love them and are attracted to them.
But, you have to cut off the affected leaves as they keep coming back and could spread if not dealt with.
Being the spreading plant it is, they tend to grow in controlled buckets.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 08:45 »
It's important to note that methods such as this do not discriminate between the pest and the beneficials: the very insect you need to encourage in your garden: the effective, non-interventionalist approach.
I disagree. You have to spray the soapy liquid directly onto the greenfly for it to work. I cup the infested bit in one hand and spray (you get a very satisfying handful of dead greenfly!). If there was for example a ladybird there it would be clearly visible.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 18:12 »
I've noticed quite a lot more than usual this spring. Luckily the ladybirds seem to like my hawthorn hedge so i might be in luck with an organic solution.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 22:26 »
Tho I have never tried it as yet but will this year is to cut up a garlic clove and soak overnight then add the soap to the water and spray.
It is supposed to be very effective.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 14:33 »

I have to agree here, has worked for me in the past to ;)

xx
Getting rid of aphids...

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 14:18
by peterjf
xx
Aphids and ?

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 09:18
by cawdor2001
xx
aphids

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2016, 09:04
by sunshineband
xx
aphids already?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 09:34
by lancashiregardeninggal

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 52 queries.