covers/netting etc

• 23 Replies

paintedlady

covers/netting etc
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 10:43 »
It was a few years ago I tried growing some brassicas in my garden.  I thought I was being clever thinking about netting in the first place, and had got the lightweight green mesh type (keeps out birds and butterflies it said)  Then one lovely sunny day I was sitting on the patio enjoying a cup of coffee, looking down the garden and enjoying the peace and quiet when I spotted a pair of white butterflies flittering over the cage.  Before my eyes, they were suddenly inside the cage!  :shock:  When I went to check, everything was covered with caterpillars.

Since then I have gone for the much finer weave.  As I am not a big brassica lover (just a few of each), it has been worth paying that little bit more rather than watch my entire harvest disappear before my eyes.

PS  The upturned pop bottle over cane sounds like a brilliant idea!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

covers/netting etc
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 15:47 »
And judging by a common problem I often read about last season, make sure the bottom edges are well held down or the pigeons will simply sneak under and chow down or the wind will blow up edges for the pigeons.  Check out the Geoff Hamilton cloche video under Design & Const.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
covers/netting etc
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 15:52 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
Quote from: "love-my-plot"
Your Granny's old net curtains do a great job
too ... and a lot more moneysaving  :wink:

Has anyone else noticed that weird smell peculiar to net curtains?
      No, but i've noticed a smell peculiar to old grannys.

Hey, I hope you don't mean me!!!!!! :D  :D

Trillium

covers/netting etc
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 16:05 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hey, I hope you don't mean me!!!!!!

No one would dare accusse our very own grannieannie of that!  :wink:  :lol:  Now get on your motorcycle and run him down  :lol:

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
covers/netting etc
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 09:51 »
my local garden center sells 5mm mesh on a roll so i am planning to buy some wood batons and screw them together to make a box frame and then fix the mesh to it.then i can simply lift on lift off the box to weed.
gonna make boxes for cabbage, sprouts and another one out of real fine mesh for carrots.
can anyone tell me how high the sprout plants grow please? dont want to make the box too small.

WG.

covers/netting etc
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 09:54 »
Sprouts can grow to 3 ft or more

bedrockdave

covers/netting etc
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 15:37 »
I don't use fleece or netting, I put all my rhubarb leaves in an old bin ,let them rot for a couple of weeks or so then use the water (AT NIGHT WHEN GOING HOME)  inbetween the rows ,  the smell is awful but I get no butterflies about .
what did I do before the lottie?

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
covers/netting etc
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 23:14 »
thanks DD . but i was thinking put the bottle over the top as you say and then put another cane through it horizontally to make a frame and give it more stability but probably not needed

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
covers/netting etc
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 07:26 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
thanks DD . but i was thinking put the bottle over the top as you say and then put another cane through it horizontally to make a frame and give it more stability but probably not needed

Cawdor

Yes, I can see what he's getting at. I've used canes with twine strung between them, this also stops the nets slipping down.

However, Ive found the most rigid method is lengths of pre-treated unplaned timber from the local diy place.

such as this...

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins/popups/scene7.jsp?skuId=9285557

76p for about 6'. The net is just placed on top & then pegged down. The timber is too wide for it to slip down, it can be cut into lengths to suit the crop and being preservative treated should last years. Just simply banged into the ground & no need for cross members.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
grazing rye ,bindweed and covers?

Started by redhat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 13:09
by muntjac
xx
covers for compost heaps??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 13:05
by corynsboy
xx
How to secure crop covers eg Environmesh

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 17:05
by hightide
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.