potting on

• 11 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
potting on
« on: March 17, 2012, 18:46 »
I have some trays of marigolds that have hatched much quicker than I thought.  I am a bit confused as to what I do next to avoid legginess.  They are showing 2 little leaves, does this mean I pot on to 3" pots or can I put in modules like they sell at the garden centre.  I have quite a lot so putting into 3" pots will be expensive in compost and a lot of work.  Are they okay to put in the unheated greenhouse too?  I have a cold frame but thought that far too cold.   I love flowers and have always spent a fortune buying summer plug plants, so first time sowing anything.  I thought as I was growing veg for the allotment I would try my hand at doing some annuals.    There is lots of videos on sowing seeds, but the next stage I would like some more reassurance.

Many Thanks
Amanda

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: potting on
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 18:57 »
Are they crowded together in a seed tray?

If so, you can either pot them into  modules or straight into 3" pots.  Depending on the size of the modules, you may or may not need to pot them on again - you don't want the roots to become restricted during growth.

The main reason for legginess is too little light and, sometimes, too much warmth.  Make sure they are in good light, and if indoors you should consider using DD's foil trick behind them to reflect light back onto them.

If they are hardy annuals (as opposed to half hardy annuals) then they can be gradually hardened off into the greenhouse or cold frame - don't just put them outside after being mollycoddled indoors.  Bring them in at night for a couple of weeks.

If they are half hardy annuals and your greenhouse is unheated then I wouldn't risk it there.  They won't be frost-hardy.

When potting up, always hold the seedling by the leaves.  Never ever by the stem because you will bruise it and probably kill the plant.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 18:59 »
Could you tell me if they are hardy marigolds (ie Calendula) or half hardy (Tagetes) as they need different treatment?

Also, are the two leaves the oly leaves the plants have so far, or are they two leaves that have grown as well as the first two,(and will be a different shape)?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 20:28 »
Hiya

I have sown a tray crowded together of French Dwarf double mixed.  the packet came with a mini greenhouse for the seeds.  About 100 seeds though.  So they are closely packed, i then had to do 3 x 3" pots for the rest of the seeds.  I should of saved them for later I guess.  But I want a lot anyway for the allotment.  The other ones I got which I sowed straight into modules were French Dwarf petite.  They are about 1 cm high with two little leaves in V shape,  just that so far, but as with tomatoes I dont  want to end up with leggy plants that will be weak.  I know the instructions on seeds are supposed to lead the way, but as I am new to this, I sometimes find it conflicting.  Eg. I have a packet of mixed hanging basket seeds and they say to sow between January and June?  I guess this is all a learning curve and will only learn by myself, but good advice really does help.

Thanks Amanda x

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 22:43 »
Normally seedlings are transplanted when they have their 1st set of true leaves, ( not the 1st leaves the pop up with )
If memory serves me correct then marigolds are one of the faster plants from seed to flower about 13 weeks in total. So ideally you should sow some every couple of weeks.
The later you sow them, the later in the season you'll get flowers but it's generally easier to sow later as it's warmer daylight length is longer etc.

Have you thinned them out yet ? , that can help combat legginess not so much competition from each other.

Bare in mind that they probably wont be safe from frosts until June, so might pay you to thin this lot out quite ruthlessly, and sow again in late April early May. depends where you are growing them 
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 22:53 »
Now that I know they have come up like mustard and cress, it would be best, as Richie says, to thin them ruthlessly.

They can be then repotted once they have two proper leaves.

Next time, you could put one seed per small module and get healthy plants quite easily.

Mine came up in only a week, so there is plenty of time to sow more if you don't have enough

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:48 »
I transplant marigold seedlings when they get to the first true leaves into modules and let them grow on.
When the first buds appear I pinch these out; the plant then sends out side shoots which are a replica of the one pinched out. However if you leave them the first bud will flower and side shoots will develop later on in the season.
If you wish to try this only pinch out half the tray; that way you should get single and double heads on the plants first.
These are about three weeks old.
marigold tray.JPG
marigold buds.JPG
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:12 »
They look good hightide  :)

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:34 »
I transplant marigold seedlings when they get to the first true leaves into modules and let them grow on.
When the first buds appear I pinch these out; the plant then sends out side shoots which are a replica of the one pinched out. However if you leave them the first bud will flower and side shoots will develop later on in the season.
If you wish to try this only pinch out half the tray; that way you should get single and double heads on the plants first.
These are about three weeks old.

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37 »
thanks so much for the advice everyone, its really helped me.  Is it the same rule for container and hanging basket plants such as busy lizzies, petunia, nasturtiums, verbena etc.  best to just start them in the  modules like hightides picture, then no need for having to transplant all the time.

amanda x :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 20:20 »
Yes, it's the same rule  :)

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 22:21 »
Cheers yorkie

xx
Potting on seedlings

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2013, 21:19
by Asherweef
xx
Re using potting compost

Started by Barry C on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 21:42
by mrsbean
xx
Potting on a camellia

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 21:46
by sunshineband
xx
Big Pots? And Potting mix?

Started by adri123 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 11:19
by adri123

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.