Adding 2 or 3 chickens

• 3 Replies

Bigblacktaximan

Adding 2 or 3 chickens
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:14 »
right,

I have half a dozen youngish hybrids who were bought as POL roughly 14 weeks old, we had been getting 4 various sized eggs a day, and for a couple of days we got 5 eggs  :)
However, production has dropped to around 2 eggs a day (One nice large egg, one ping pong ball sized)

I know this maybe due to the time of year (?)
and at least one of them is having something of a moult which means she wont be laying (?)
and realise that the birds are relatively young, being around 20 weeks old approximately

I'd like to add 2 or 3 more chooks to the house, these will be  table birds so am not concerned with egg production too much,     I have a spare coop, but no run :(   your suggestions please ?

Roughlee Handled

Re: Adding 2 or 3 chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 16:09 »
Sorry confused.

Facts (please correct)

You have 12 chickens
They are 14 weeks old.
Breed of hybrid.
One is moulting.

Questions for you.
How big is your run?

Chickens will not lay as many eggs in the winter as in the summer.
Because they can not raise chicks to maturity through the winter (or it is harder) it is a natural thing so they do not go broody and do not lay as many eggs (if at all).
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 17:50 »
Sorry for the apparent confusion,

As stated,   

I have half a dozen (6)
They were bought at 14 weeks old and are now 20 weeks approximately
Type of hybrid I believe (was led to believe) were Goldlines(?)

One has recently lost alot of head and neck feathers but has feathered up again pretty quick

They generally have free run of the garden, some 50-60 ft by 20ft across

Your last statement pretty much confirms what I was thinking might be the most logical reasoning behind the reduced egg production,  as I said that's not really an issue as I don't eat eggs and have been giving them away for the most part.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 18:01 by Bigblacktaximan »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 21:13 »
Hi Bigblacktaximan

I've added in chickens to my mob a couple of times now and am collecting another 3 soon so have the same dilema.

What has always worked for me is:

Try and get slightly older girls to mix in - tiny chickies will get mullered but fully adult will stand a better chance
Introduce as a little gang, not separate unrelated birds
Be around for the first couple of days just in case it all really kicks off
Have some wound spray and beak rings to hand for emergency use
If there is a main ring leader(s) in your existing group causing major aggro consider taking them out and putting in your spare coup rather than isolate the new girls
Get your new girls in at bedtime, then shut the pophole so it's dark and they nod off before they realise what has happened
Have chickie snacks and treats on hand for distraction purposes the next morning
Have more than 1 water and food supply site for the first couple of weeks so everyone gets a chance
I tend to take my main hooligan out next morning and have her helping  :unsure: me with the gardening while the new girls settle

My run is big enough they can get out of each others way and has an upper story on the hen house roof, so if you have a very small run you will have to be extra vigilent. There will be some squabbling but it's ganging up and pecking you need to watch for.

There are loads of really experienced chicken keepers on the forum so sure you will get loads of good advice  :)

xx
adding new chickens

Started by bramford on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 22:29
by bantam novice
xx
Adding new chickens

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 15:35
by carolbriar
xx
Adding quails and chickens

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 21:44
by joyfull
xx
Adding to my flock

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 12:14
by Shazzer

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 30 queries.