what to do with raspberry canes??

• 12 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« on: April 09, 2007, 20:34 »
I was working away planting some onions today and a freindl gentleman came over and gave me some raspberry canes. He said there where a dozen, but they look like 2 bushes too me. One clump is summer and the other is autum.

The problem i have is i havent a clue what to do with them :!:  I'm not even sure i will have room for them.

Any advice greatly received :?:
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

noshed

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 21:35 »
Plant them about 8" apart in plenty of composty soil. Seperate out the summer and autumn ones. You probably won't get much of a crop this year but cut back the canes when they've fruited. Tie the new ones in to horizontal wires
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 21:39 »
Luck devil send them to me !!

Or plant each cane 18" apart in weed free well manured ground between two posts about 3' showing out of the ground strain two wires 18" apart between them and tie the raspberries in as they grow.

Whoops meant 8" apart not 18"  :oops:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Dan

• Experienced Member
Re: what to do with rsapberry canes??
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 22:20 »
Quote from: "mickeyboy"
I was working away planting some onions today and a freindl gentleman came over and gave me some raspberry canes. He said there where a dozen, but they look like 2 bushes too me. One clump is summer and the other is autum.

The problem i have is i havent a clue what to do with them :!:  I'm not even sure i will have room for them.

Any advice greatly received :?:

I should think he has tied or bundled the two seperate lots together which is why it looks like two bushes...but more likely individual canes.

I too was giving about 15 at the start of this year and they are coming along nicely.

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:10 »
I bought Glen moy and joan j rasp canes this winter.  the geln moy appear to be going great guns but of the joan j only one has sprouted any leaves and they all look like just dead sticks in the ground.  Hoping they will show some life soon or I may have to complain to the company I bought them from.  One or two not taking I could understand but 12 out of 13 is a little much really, and it's not like the other variety haven't done anything, so I must have done something right, but they still look dead.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I bought Glen moy and joan j rasp canes this winter.  the geln moy appear to be going great guns but of the joan j only one has sprouted any leaves and they all look like just dead sticks in the ground.  Hoping they will show some life soon or I may have to complain to the company I bought them from.  One or two not taking I could understand but 12 out of 13 is a little much really, and it's not like the other variety haven't done anything, so I must have done something right, but they still look dead.
I reckon Joan J will be an autumn fruiting variety so you might want to wait a bit longer.  I don't grow rasps so am no expert.

philmay

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 19:22 »
Hi, Crowndale,
Joan J are autumn fruiting berries. You should get a few fruits this year, in late July/august.

Pink Wellies

Talking of raspberries
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 20:00 »
Hi,

Talking of raspberries... I got some canes a couple of months ago and planted them out, however they haven't done anything yet and it just looks like I've planted 8 sticks, is it possible that they're still alive or not?

lauraladybird

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 00:25 »
Rasberry canes can come across as dead looking.  I dug one up to see what was going on and there were shoots coming from base of root system.  I used late fruiting ones that were given to me to make a hedge.  The earlier fruiting ones I have are growing away and the berries have self seeded. If I picked one last year I thought was overipe I threw them on ground for birds I know they've grown from seed and are not suckers because I dug the original plants up and moved them again to make a hedge. Stick with it cos they're a hell of a price in the shops and so easy to grow.
digalot

apywell

Re: Talking of raspberries
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:02 »
Quote from: "Pink Wellies"
Hi,

Talking of raspberries... I got some canes a couple of months ago and planted them out, however they haven't done anything yet and it just looks like I've planted 8 sticks, is it possible that they're still alive or not?

I have the same problem.  I planted 4 'twigs' about 3 months ago and they have not done anything.  In fact one twig was laying accross the ground as something seems to have pulled it up.  Now I have 3 twigs sticking out of the ground.   :?
Committee member and Treasurer. Oh and maintain our website.....

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 07:46 »
Quote from: "crowndale"

well, over the last couple of days I have noticed a couple of the canes are developing small canes from the base so there is hope yet!  some of my summer fruiting ones are producing flowers on the old cane bit left at planting and again one or two are beginning to produce new canes so next year I should get a few from them too.

patience is an essential quality in a gardener, pity I have such a deficit of it!!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 13:29 »
I have signs of life in 4 of my 9.

I am so glad as I was ready to complain too!

splodger

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 16:04 »
surely your autumn fruiting raspberries should have been cut down - as they fruit on this years growth -

my summer fruiting ones are starting to put out flower buds - my autumns are just showing a few leaves above the ground - but don't worry if yours aren't doing much - especially if they are newly planted.

xx
raspberry canes

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 23:06
by galen
xx
where to buy raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:09
by allotmentann
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2021, 18:39
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 17:38
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.