Raspberry Canes

• 4 Replies

The Hungry Slug

Raspberry Canes
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:15 »
I was doing some reading last night about raspberries but must admit I didn't undertsand half of what was going on!  Thought you lot may be better at explaining things in plain English!   :wink:

I have some raspberry canes that I only planted in April.  They are summer fruiting varieties (I think).  As they won't be ready this year what do I need to do?  Some books suggest just leaving them, but one book was talking about chopping them down to ground level which sounded a bit drastic at this stage!  They have all got leaves if that makes a difference...  If I leave them, do I need to prune them back once they start developing shoots?  Help - I love raspberries and want to get as many as I can from my plot!

simond9383

Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:05 »
Assuming that they were bought from the garden centre or nursery as one foot canes with maybe some limited growth, you would normally wait until they are shooting from the base and then cut the canes down to ground level so that the new basal growth can take over.  If they were more established canes, say from a friend, then I would probably leave the growth to do what it wants this year. The overiding principle for Summer fruiting rasbos is that this year's growth is what they will fruit on next year so leave it to grow.
One warning from experience, if they were bare rooted and you were late planting, they may take a while before they spring into life.
Try to be organic ...sort of ...most of the time ...

gobs

Raspberry Canes
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 16:39 »
yes, if the roots dry out before they establish, can even loose them, would advise to mulch them, whilst soil is still wet down below.

And as said leave alone, you cut the old woody canes to ground levelish, end of season, when they finished fruiting.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Dominic

Raspberry Canes
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 18:29 »
Bit of an in depth question, but why?

Regarding cut down already fruited wood/

I've read do it loads of times, but why?
Does it not still leaf up next year and strengthen the plant, or is it just metaphorical, and literal, deadwood
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

gobs

Raspberry Canes
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 18:36 »
It's dead wood. You can break it if you wish. :lol:

xx
raspberry canes

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 23:06
by galen
xx
where to buy raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:09
by allotmentann
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2021, 18:39
by Hampshire Hog
xx
what to do with raspberry canes??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:04
by splodger

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.