Any London allotmenteers on here?

• 25 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Any London allotmenteers on here?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2023, 19:05 »
Sounds like your plot holders are a sensible lot.  I think you’ll be able to move ahead with clearing the rubbish.

We have a rule that absolutely no one can bring non-allotment rubbish onto the plot (e.g. office chairs).

Christine

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 18:56 »
We have a rule that absolutely no one can bring non-allotment rubbish onto the plot (e.g. office chairs).
How much effort does it take to ensure they listen though?  ::) This can take time to get through the cloth ears of some.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 19:19 »
We have a small site, only about 50 plots.

There is no shared area of the site where anything could be dumped.

wighty

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 20:25 »
Gas bottles are to be treasured now.  If you want a 'new' refilled one and haven't got an 'empty' to trade in there is a £45 ' deposit' to be paid on the new one.  We  keep all our empties well hidden and locked away as although we are a registered dealer in LPG we still have to provide an empty to get a full one.  Although it's called a 'deposit' if you don't have one to trade, try getting that deposit back, good luck.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 21:13 »
For potentially hazardous materials (pesticides, paint possibly the asbestos), are there city services where such materials can be taken for disposal?  Example of what we have here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjXqO-EhqD-AhWvJUQIHT_qDhkQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.accgov.com%2F5894%2FHard-to-Recycle-Materials-CHaRM&usg=AOvVaw2a98npe5TJ6m46QWhkLbjQ, do you have anything like that?

Sorry if this next bit seems irrelevant at first.  Our neighborhood has a swimming pool. At one time, it was run by some well-meaning people (The Board), but unfortunately, people kept taking advantage of their good nature.  The board nearly went bankrupt because people would not pay their membership fees, there was no gate to control people with no membership from using the pool, and people with memberships kept letting everyone they knew into the pool.  Picture a neighborhood with 800 households, better than half using the pool, but only 50 households paying their way! The unrestricted parking lot was used as a dumping ground for old furniture and so forth (hauled off at pool board expense).  The book keeper was also stealing pool funds and not paying the bills for water, electricity, etc.).  It was a free-for-all, and people hated it.  A new group of people started running The Board, with secure access to members with keys only, strict sign-in policies, security, including security cameras. Although people resented the reduced freedom initially, they later appreciated the better operation of the pool and the balance sheet that was always "in the black" for planned necessary maintenance and other expenses!  Membership is now at capacity, with a waiting list to join each summer.

The point is, folks at your allotment that have a head for planning and the willingness to pitch in can "vote-in" improvements.  Limit the amount of trash build up allowed on individual plots.  Absolutely NO waste of any kind allowed from neighbors that are not plot holders. Have scheduled clean-up days for plot holders to tidy up and remove materials (maybe at the start, middle, and end of growing season), maybe a slight reduction in fee for those that participate in cleanups? Plot holders can decide (together) what is acceptable to keep on site, what is not, and keep out items that don't belong (e.g., old carpets and office chairs) and limit others (e.g., no more than 4 liters of equipment fuel per plot).  Everything stored as neatly as possible.  No common spaces where people can start a "tip" forming!  A rule that if you pack something in, you must be capable of packing it back out.  Possibly waste management deposits, refundable at the end of your lease, if you the plot holder keeps their plot clean, no trash build-up.

Just some suggestions.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

missmoneypenny

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 22:49 »
Thanks again for all your suggestions and for posting such a comprehensive list of points Subversive. No one has the appetite to take this on ( typical London, people are either too busy or too individualistic to want to put the time and effort in) however I think we are going  to have to get organised or things will go awry. I do tend to think that a very clear list of rules will be necessary as the council is clearly disinvesting itself from the plot. Also as observed by Christine, people will try and bend the rules so someone will have to enforce things. I’m realising this isn’t going to be popular, but it’s necessary.
The only place we can take chemicals, the asbestos  and the gas bottles ( unless the council finally picks them up) is the local recycling centre which is a half hour drive away. I do not have a car but could rent one for the day. It’s going to be interesting !

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 07:25 »
We have not had any rubbish taken by the council for at least 4 years now, they used to deliver a trailer once a year for non green stuff. Its rather annoying as for the first time in many years we are at full capacity and some of the plots having not been used for years are full of rubbish.

Christine

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 10:07 »
Enfield Glen you need an eviction policy for unused plots. I get the job but I'm an unpleasent old witch that doesn't take prisoners. It's taken a few years for people to get the hang that when I'm coming for them there's a committee and a town council coming too. Town council is happy to let us fight the fight and will happliy back us up when the rules are put in front of them.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 23:46 »
Enfield Glen you need an eviction policy for unused plots. I get the job but I'm an unpleasent old witch that doesn't take prisoners. It's taken a few years for people to get the hang that when I'm coming for them there's a committee and a town council coming too. Town council is happy to let us fight the fight and will happliy back us up when the rules are put in front of them.

Sometimes a situation needs more (as you say) "unpleasant old witches" that don't take prisoners!
Though I would never consider you that.  My meaning: sometimes the direct approach is needed to avoid a worse outcome.  It takes a certain courage to do that.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2023, 14:19 »
Local skip firms will no longer do business here on allotment sites - the assumed reasons vary, but may include abuse of the green skips by plotholders or others.

So, for some years now, it's been down to the allotment holder and occasionally the Man with a van who is tasked by the charity which manages the sites (but that costs nearly £100 per van visit to the recycling centre, so not an easy option). I had to do multiple tip trips with rubbish and broken glass when I took on my original plot about 20 years ago.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

OakR

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2023, 23:34 »
This might not be possible, but I know an allotment that lets a skip company store some of their skips on some unused land, and in return they provide a skip plot holders can use. It's only meant to be for stuff from the allotment of course.

Access an issue on most sites I imagine, and not sure how 'official' it is, but works for all concerned.

thumbup
Hello allotmenteers!

Started by Tollund Man on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 18:42
by Yorkie
xx
Calling all allotmenteers!

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 21:21
by Shelle
xx
Thoughtless fellow allotmenteers

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 21:00
by Heather_S
xx
Allotmenteers - Your signatures needed please!!

Started by Swee'pea on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 20:37
by alibean

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 43 queries.