Onions from seed - 2014

• 353 Replies

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
Re: Onions from seed - 2014
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 16:26 »
Got down the plot today and sowed 4, 40 cell modules of onion seed.
They were Bedfordshire Champion, Ramata Di Milano, Ailsa Craig and Rouge de Florence.
Covered and placed in a mini greenhouse in the polytunnel. ;)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 18:29 »
Ok we're off........managed to get a medium plastic tray sown with some red baron in the kitchen, whilst pretending to cook a Gorgonzola pasta bake  8)

Now under a clear lid on (sunnyish) lounge windowsill....

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 18:37 »
Just a quick question from a newbie allotment holder.

I have an electric propagator which I use for my tomato seeds in March although it's a pretty basic one. It doesn't have a thermostat, just a simple dial with high - low settings.

Would it be OK to put in some onion seeds (in small cells) then once they have germinated, let them fend for themselves in the cold greenhouse. I don't think I fancy the idea of a propagator going for 2-3 months just for some onions, when I could just buy sets in the spring and bung those in without any heat at all.

I was told sets are more prone to bolting, hence my idea of growing from seeds.

I'm not interested in getting 'show size' onions, but being my first allotment year, I wouldn't mind having a decent crop. I'll be growing Red Baron and Ailsa Craig.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2013, 18:50 »
Honestly I'd start them in early Feb on the propagator then about 2 weeks after germination into the cool sun porch if you have one or window sill then into the gh in march'ish then into the bed. They dont want to be heated when growing but slowly adapted to the cold greenhouse.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Steveharford

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2013, 19:08 »
Ok. After reading this site for a few days I've got off my seasonally fattened butt and dusted off the electric propogator. Installed in spare bedroom bay window where it should get plenty of light. Warmed up for a couple of hours and have now sown a packet of Kelsae, a packet of Rose de Roscoff, and half a leftover packet of ramrod spring onions as there was a bit of space left. 15 deg should hopefully be suitable for them all. Expecting some to be poking through in about two weeks.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2013, 20:16 »
I have put a tray of conpost to soak and will sow the seeds tomorrow.  I think I will put them in the mini greenhouse inside the proper green house rather than in the propagator, I am in no hurry.  I can always bring them into the house if things are looking slow.
Anne

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2013, 23:23 »
hello,just sown 2 moduel trays of fi hytech  onion seeds 104 cells each tray,1 tray of bedfordshire champs,1 tray of red baron , i put them  in these thermostaticly  propogators in my bedroom between 15-20c ill leave them like that just until i see them coming through then off it goes ,i shall then move them into mini greenhouses in  the polytunnel with eltex parrafin/diesel heater for 2 weeks then turn it off  leave lids on greenhouse and hope for the best :unsure:,then come spring ill plant loads of  bought onion sets  ;) you can never have enough onions can you :D ill start picking them as green spring onions.  darren
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 23:24 by 3 allotments »
diggity dig dig

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 00:15 »
I'm just going to stick some seed (when I buy them this weekend) in some seed compost and hope for the best!!! :D

BSRobin

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 07:14 »
I've got my onions from seed already coming up, and unfurling - alisa craig.  They have been in a month now inside my greenhouse - north facing, temps up during the day to 15 C', and shallots also from seeds, alongside winter lettuce, Bulgarian giant leeks in a mini blow-away albeit inside the G-House too.  Its mild for a winter, only down to 0.7 and one frost so far! :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 08:42 »
Not to be relied on every year!

It's two years now since Mrs Digger accidentally disconnected the electricity supply to my greenhouse and all the seeds trays froze solid.

We've still a long way to go before we're out of winter and I certainly wouldn't risk seeds in an unheated greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Steveharford

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 08:47 »
Could I just add to the theme of this thread if that's ok. Having sown my kelsae and rose de roscoff, I would like to sow a couple more varieties but preferably very good keepers. Is anyone sowing a particular one for it's keeping qualities? Thanks. Steve

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 09:00 »
I'm just going to stick some seed (when I buy them this weekend) in some seed compost and hope for the best!!! :D

Snap!  :D

Could I just add to the theme of this thread if that's ok. Having sown my kelsae and rose de roscoff, I would like to sow a couple more varieties but preferably very good keepers. Is anyone sowing a particular one for it's keeping qualities? Thanks. Steve

Red Baron often get mentioned when referring to good keepers, which is why I'm giving them a go.

I've never grown onions from seed before so this should be fun  ;)

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 10:32 »
hello steve these fi hytech i just planted says excellent long term storage ability,maybe  worth a try.darren

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 17:53 »

Snap!  :D
I've never grown onions from seed before so this should be fun  ;)
Jim

I bought 'Bedfordshire Champion' seeds - they state "long storing" ;) ;)
Have fun Jim!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 18:07 »
My seeds are in! I'm leaving them in the greenhouse , but I will keep an eye on them for frosts and bring them in if need be

xx
onions from seed 2014

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 13:48
by Dave NE
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Onions from seed

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:42
by AndyRVTR
xx
onions from seed

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 09:35
by JayG

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.