slug pellets

• 9 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
slug pellets
« on: April 09, 2008, 00:41 »
A bit of a topic between grow your own and general gardening but heres my thinking
My front garden is on a busy main road with the majority being conifers and heather, I have a small patch at the front to grow different annuals every year.
Last year, not ONE flower seedling was left after slug attacks, but I balked at using pellets.  Theres no birds/hedgehogs etc visiting as the road is so busy all the time
I would never use slug pellets on my veggies, but cant see the harm in using them on my front garden as no wildlife visits
What does everyone think?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Wildeone

slug pellets
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:15 »
I've read that if you put the pellets in a bottle (coke or better still milk) and lay it on its side the slugs can get in but the birds and other wildlife can't - Not tried it myself - I sink small plastic babyfood tubs or jars and fill with smartprice lager once a week and even over the winter i'm composting 30-40 slugs a week from 5 little traps in an area 5mx1.5m.  The larger is 22p a can from asda or tesco.

I think i might be denting the poputation in my raised flower bed in the garden.
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
slug pellets
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:45 »
I use 'em more or less everywhere except the back garden and thats only because the hens are out and about. It is a concern on the adverse affects on other wildlife they can have but I don't do over kill and spread a few pellets over a wide area. My veg growing is not such a hobby as a desire to break free from the reliance on the supermarkets etc  as such I'd rather harvest veg than feed them to the local slug population.  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
slug pellets
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:17 »
I would rather not use pellets but last year I planted probably a few hundred brassicas and I ended up with 1 red cabbage at the end of the year. The slugs had eaten everything. This year it's war!

Don't forget you can buy organic slug pellets as well now.

Terry

Re: slug pellets
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:27 »
Quote from: "peapod"
A bit of a topic between grow your own and general gardening but heres my thinking
My front garden is on a busy main road with the majority being conifers and heather, I have a small patch at the front to grow different annuals every year.
Last year, not ONE flower seedling was left after slug attacks, but I balked at using pellets.  Theres no birds/hedgehogs etc visiting as the road is so busy all the time
I would never use slug pellets on my veggies, but cant see the harm in using them on my front garden as no wildlife visits
What does everyone think?
There is a chapter in John's book on slugs makes good reading plus the book is very good  :idea: Terry

agapanthus

slug pellets
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 19:04 »
'Advanced' slug pellets are supposed to be useful for organic gardeners.....I've used them before, might be the way to go.

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
slug pellets
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:03 »
My allotment neighbour plants shredded newspaper with his potatoes and swears that the printing ink deters slugs. I'd already planted mine when I heard this though, and must admit to having a large bottle of slug pellets at the ready...

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
slug pellets
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:19 »
these are the ones Agapanthus is talking about they are certified organic by the Organic Farmers and growers assoc and are completely harmless to pets and wildlife.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_179&products_id=1821

They are based on ferrous sulphate which stops the slugs feeding and they crawl away and die After remaining effective for several weeks in both wet and dry conditions, the pellets will break down to iron and phosphate nutrients as part of garden soil.

I wouldn't get them from the organic gardening Catalog though they are much much cheaper at garden centres or on e-bay
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

rustygman

seaweed
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:49 »
has anyone tried putting seaweed down as a slug deterent - can’t remember where I heard it but I thought it might be an idea, salty and probably good for the soil as it rots down. Presumably its perfectly legal to cut a few bags worth off the rocks, chop it up and use it like a mulch, any thoughts?
I’d rather be outside

peapod

• Pea Goddess
slug pellets
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 11:59 »
thanks for that fivespud, im gonna go with those
thanks everyone
 :D  :D

xx
slug pellets

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 22:00
by al78
xx
slug pellets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:23
by Candide
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:51
by icbradley
xx
slug pellets

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 06:56
by misterroy

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.