potato problem

• 7 Replies

sloanranger

potato problem
« on: August 12, 2012, 17:37 »
I have had my allotment for 4 yrs and every year I have a potatoe problem. They are either dry and flaky and skins crack open on cooking or they boil to mush. I have tried all different kinds from all different place and all prices. The problem is always the same

Can anyone help me please.  :(

Jo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 18:02 by Ice »

mobilekat

Re: potatoe problem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 17:40 »
Heya

Which Variety/ Varieties are you growing, as this can make a major difference to how they perform when you cook them.

Also what type of soil do you have? Is it sandy, clay etc?
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

twilight

Re: potato problem
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 18:04 »
Try steaming them with the skins on.  They don't break apart so and the skins just peel off.  I did this last year with good results on potatoes that fell apart when boiled.

sloanranger

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:45 »
Can any one give the name of a good potatoe that boild well, all mine up now have been dry and flaky or gone to mush. Is it some I am doing or nopt doing

Thank you

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 13:03 »
It sounds as though you might be boiling them too long and/or too hard. Someone asked this really recently - it gets asked quite often to be honest - and they had a problem with a variety that was fine for most other people.

This year I have early variety Lady Christl and maincrop Ambo, both grown in previous years and both cook well in my experience.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 13:31 »
If you look here

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/vegetables/potatoes/varieties-flavour

There is a list of the main varieties and what they are best suited to.

I was always told that when boiling spuds to always cut them in half if the skins are on them as else the split- same as when you bake them.
And I do find fresh home grown spuds take a lot less cooking then the ancient ones you get from the supermarket, and even a good shop is going to have had the spuds out of the ground for a couple of days before you buy it.
Also home grown spuds are often harvested earlier than shop ones- so will normally have thinner skins- which are more likely to flake off.

If they are little new ones they just get a quick clean, a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of salt and cooked in the over- and turn into little gems of tastiness!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 15:17 »
We've grown Vivaldi for a couple of years now and find them a good all-rounder pot. They have a lovely, buttery taste, make good boiled and baked pot, but remember that your own pots don't need as much cooking (gently simmering will do) and do the knife test to see when they're ready before you think they are!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sloanranger

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13 »
Thank You for your responses, I will act on your suggestions and update.

Thank You Jo x

xx
A potato problem?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 18:29
by mumofstig
xx
Problem potato

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 14:59
by richyrich7
xx
Potato problem

Started by matt.k on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 14:35
by barbarella
xx
potato problem

Started by EEP on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 17:56
by EEP

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.