Rotavator problems.

• 8 Replies

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Rotavator problems.
« on: January 19, 2009, 16:44 »
I've managed to get unrestricted use of a Wolseley Major rotavator fitted with a 3HP Briggs and Stratton engine. It had not been run for 18 months before I got it last night. Anyway, it wouldn't start so I checked the spark, very strong, dropped a tiny bit of petrol into the spark plug hole and it started. It kept stalling so I repeated the petrol trick a couple of times and it would then run smoothly and constantly. So far so good! When it was running fine and was warmed up, I gave it a go on the allotment. It worked fine for a few minutes, then several sparks started flying out of the exhaust and I switched it off. I inspected it and saw that it was quite hot and noticed that one of the exhaust manifold bolts was missing, otherwise seems in good condition.

I'm not quite sure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated. :oops:

Gwiz

Rotavator problems.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 17:01 »
It wouldn't start initially, because it probably had a bit of stale fuel in it. They really do need fresh fuel, or you can forget it!
I wouldn't worry too much about the sparks, I expect that it's just a bit of loose carbon being blown out through the exhaust.......
Just replace the bolt, and enjoy! :D

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Rotavator problems.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 17:05 »
Yes, I forgot to mention that I drained the old petrol out of it and refilled with fresh stuff. I'll give it another try tomorrow then. Thanks for the advice.

Gwiz

Rotavator problems.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 17:12 »
don't forget to check the oil level!
if it's the standard briggs engine ( which it sounds like), it's a pint of oil from empty... :D

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Rotavator problems.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 18:01 »
Oil checked and all OK. Closer inspection reveals the missing bolt is not on the exhaust manifold at all (silly me) it's the inlet manifold also half of the gasket is missing. I wonder if the sparks were bits of fried gasket?

Gwiz

Rotavator problems.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 19:07 »
Yep, that's what it'll be then.
new gasket and bolt, job done. :D

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Rotavator problems.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 17:05 »
New gasket and bolt fitted this morning and it ran great for a two separate hour long sessions, then "bang". Now there doesn't seem to be a spark and not as much resistance on the pull cord.
 :cry:

Gwiz

Rotavator problems.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 17:23 »
Oh dear......
did it actually go bang? and did you make sure there was a pint  of oil in it?
check to see that the piston is ging up and down. Did you make sure that all the old gasket and debris was removed from the inlet? it may have sucked in a bit of "stuff" which is now lodged in the cylinder, or under one of the valves so it wont close, that could be why there is less compression.
Either way, it sounds like you are going to have to "open it up" and have a look.
if you need more advice, you can pm me, and arrange a phone call......

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Rotavator problems.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 18:33 »
Well, the engine stopped with a bang, but it was not very loud really. I did an oil change this morning before using it and added 1 pint of oil. I cleaned the air filter and housing too. When I changed the gasket, I made sure that I got all of the old crud cleaned off. It was running well for 2 hours in total but did stall occasionally during that time. There were no sparks today, it didn't smoke much and used very little petrol.

I've loaded it back into my Landrover and will be returning it back to the bloke that I got it from. Given that it was a non-starter with a blown gasket, etc, when I got it, I don't think he will be too fussed about it.

xx
neilsen 6.5 rotavator problems & manual

Started by lynnandrob on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 17:56
by The Silver Surfer
xx
Rotavator

Started by Fletch24 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2021, 18:15
by rowlandwells
xx
got another rotavator

Started by philskin on Equipment Shed

27 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:58
by philskin
xx
rotavator

Started by petehenry on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 22:38
by Kristen

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.