My first poly tunnel

• 5 Replies

Ferris

My first poly tunnel
« on: January 20, 2009, 21:16 »
Well due to some re-shuffeling in the garden I think I can look at having a smallish (say 10' x 15') polytunnel in the next month. I have looked at lots of websites and the best product/price combination appears to be First Tunnels. However never having been through the process and having looked at lots of websites, including some "build your own" plans...

a) How feasible is it acually to build a polytunnel frame out of, for example, scaffolding poles, water piping and timber, and if its easy do you really save that much money compared to buying new?

b) Can anyone recomment First Tunnels or offer an alternative value for money supplier?

c) Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Also my site for the polytunnel is currently my chicken run which has been pretty much cleared of any living matter by the hens - however there is quite a bit of ivy nearby and I know there are still runners under there as well as some roots from near-by shrubs. I am planning on covering with weed suppresent and then buiding raised beds inside the tunnel - can anyone tell me if thats the right thing to do?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
My first poly tunnel
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 21:57 »
Try this LINK for diy instructions  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peter james

My first poly tunnel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 23:14 »
hi i built that very tunnel i was easy to build well for me it was . and it only cost the price of the sheet (£87) that was to cover 6mtr's by 4.2mtr's .i got my 50mm blue water pipe out of a building site skip scafolding poles were already on my plot when i got it and scafold boards were from local scafold firm damaged boards. i will post some pic's of the finnished tunnel if i remember to take them while at the plot tommorrow there are some pic's on this forum somewhere of it before i put the sheet on will see if i can find them...p,j,

peter james

siandc

My first poly tunnel
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 23:04 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120325421351

A few of these will do the trick!  :wink:

Possibly not the best mouldproofing etc but pretty flippin cheap!!!!

Ferris

My first poly tunnel
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 18:18 »
Appreciate their cheap but I dont feel very convinced they are the right thing for the job... have seen something similar on a cheap "greenhouse" and it went all holy and frayed after a few months heavy weather.... thanks for the thought but would rather spend a little more and have something that lasts.

xx
poly tunnel

Started by veg lover on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 18:31
by mashauk
xx
poly tunnel

Started by jonnyjamup on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 16:45
by m1ckz
xx
New poly tunnel

Started by twysted1 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2006, 15:26
by John
xx
poly tunnel

Started by Caretaker on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:51
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.