Large courgette - questions - best way to get seeds?

• 5 Replies

bb_odiham

« on: September 14, 2008, 10:46 »
I found a 15" courgette lurking under the leaves yesterday.
Photo

My first question - I noticed that my regular supply of courgettes had slowed up recently. I haven't had to buy any for months and tend to use 3 or 4 a week. I always pick them when they are 6 or 7 inches as they are tastiest at this size.

Would it be this giant courgette that was slowing up the growth of the others?

Second question, I'm thinking of using this massive courgette for seeds - what's the best way of getting the seeds out successfully?
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:55 »
I understand that, as with all annual plants, if you let the courgettes get too bigk the plant thinks that it has done its job for the season and therefore stops producing more flowers etc.  I've just picked some whoppers (oo-er, missis) from my plants, and there certainly don't appear to be as many more coming through.

Don't know anything about saving seed, hopefully someone else will be along to answer that bit.  NB If the plant is an F1 variety, the seeds won't result in the same plant next year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bb_odiham

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:15 »
Thanks Yorkie. O'er missus indeed, my missus was rather amused :)

Not sure what an F1 variety is?
I used organic seeds if that makes any difference. I wish I would've kept the packet.

I've also saved off some seeds from some organic gem squash I got from a farmers market - wonder if they are F1 too?

So much to learn!

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 13:22 »
An F1 is one that has been specifically bred for a particular trait, fast growing, large fruits, loads of fruits, stuff like that. The problem is that when they produce seeds, they will not all be the F1 variety and it would be impossible for you as the grower to know which is which, so you could inevitably get non-F1 seeds which could underperform against "normal" varieties!

If you can remember the name of the courgette then just google it to find out, otherwise, i wouldnt risk it!

Hope that helps

Digi

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 21:27 »
Apparently, courgettes are extremely promiscuous. So if there are any other varieties of courgettes, or squashes, or pumpkins in the vicinity then most likely yours will have crossed with them. So you will probably get an inedible lump from any saved seed.
Martin

gobs

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 21:36 »
Yes, they will readily cross-pollinate with most cucurbits around, let that not stop you as this or being F1 -contrary to common belief - does not mean you are doomed to rubbish end result, it's just you won't get the same you saved from.

On the other hand, all courgette is rubbish, so really not a big deal... :lol:  :lol:

Scoop out seed and wash off gunk, dry on kitchen towel or similar. Keep cool and dry till sowing.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Best way to get courgette seeds

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 23:16
by Kristen
xx
courgette seeds?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 16:25
by HilaryG
xx
Courgette seeds....

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 18:22
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 38 queries.