grapes

• 7 Replies

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
grapes
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:48 »
does anyone know of a good variety of grape vine that is suitable to grown in this country?

i have a lovely sheltered south facing wall, that has a trellace on top, and a pergola being built, that is just crying out for a vine.

can they be grown from grape seeds, you know the ones you buy from the shops?
i have heard you have to graft them?
how is that done, and if i do succeeed in growing one from seed, what difference would it make if it is not grafted?

Contadino

• Experienced Member
grapes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33 »
I can't answer the question about varieties, but grapes are hardly ever grown from seed.  You buy a root that is suited to your soil, and after a year, when it's established, you graft on the type you want to grow.

Mine, for example, are Malvasia Bianco, and I'll be grafting onto them Negromaro and Montepulciano in February.  However, it's all very localised.  less than 100m away, Malvasia Bianco don't grow, so my neigbour grows Verdeca and something else (which I've forgotten the name of.)

If you're serious, take a sample of your soil to a lab and get them to tell you what's best for your garden.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
grapes
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:57 »
Being 'half way up a mountain' indicates you might not have the best climate conditions in the UK - I'd take advice from a local nursery if I was you as we're not so sophisticated about grape growing in the UK as Italy.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Contadino

• Experienced Member
grapes
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 18:40 »
Oh yeah, I didn't notice the location.  Which mountain, and are you on the north or south side?

Have you thought about growing table grapes instead if wine grapes?  There are (I think) more varieties of table grapes suited to less temperate climates.

DavidW

grapes
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 18:44 »
Van,
       Check this site out, i purchased "Regent" for my allotment which is a red grape for wine making

http://www.winegrowers.info/

David

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
grapes
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 23:00 »
we are on the very sheltered south side of the mountain.....but we do get some very strong winds, this is why we have a trellace and not a solid fence.
i really dont mind if the grapes are for the table or wine, it would just be so nice to have a vine growing here, the grapes would be a bonus.....

i have an idea of trying to emulate a mediterranean type garden/patio in the calm spot by the back of the house....

i visualise a gravel patio with lots of pots and urns, with very colouful peargoniums in pots on the walls and steps, along with such plants as daisies, artemisia, diomosa, nanindra and nerium to name a few. i have a wysteria that is coming along nicely from the front of the house to the back, and lots of herbs in tubs, so you see, in my minds eye,  a grapevine would look beautiful.

gobs

grapes
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 22:01 »
If you are not going to make wine, you might as well invest in one that can be eaten alongside of pergola and landscape.
Everybody offers nowadays a couple of suited to cooler climes grape varieties, I cannot recommend on them as I just bought some last year, but fair to say, do not be mean, it shall produce for you for more or less a lifetime.
And guess what, in my native Hungary, where grape is widely grown and wine production is big business, they say: best grapes are grown on a south facing  slope. So stop wondering, look around and get the one you fancy.
My first year's grapes are ripening on the side note, but as the year was I am not too surprised they are size of currants.
Let us know, anyhow,
gobs
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

van connick

• Experienced Member
grapes
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 18:54 »
as soon as i find somewhere local that sells vines i will let you know my choice.......

clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 08:20
by jambop
xx
grapes

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 08:26
by latis
xx
new to grapes

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
Grapes

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 14:28
by Trillium

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 39 queries.