What do I do now?

• 5 Replies

ineedhelp

What do I do now?
« on: March 23, 2010, 13:33 »
I sowed some herb seeds and they have now started to come through.
The herbs in question are: Dill, Chives, Tyhme, Basil, Mint and Parsley.
I've kept them on a high shelf in the front room where they get partial sunlight. Now that the seedlings are now coming through should I
1 - Keep them there?
2 - Leave them in the pots that they are already growing in? I have put three herbs per pot in there own little section.

ineedhelp.

prakash_mib

Re: What do I do now?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 13:40 »
give them a good kitchen foil backing. (search of kitchen foil)
This would reflect light and let them grow. Thinning would be required if they are too dense. Othewise they would happily grow indoors.
Not sure about partial sun (you getting some sun light???  :D ) though.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

ineedhelp

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 14:36 »
Thanks for that Prakash (that's my uncles name too)........ I will thin it out. I put three types of herb into one rectangular pot so I think it is best if I do thin them out. My only concern is that I will destroy the roots, but it's my first time so practice makes perfect I guess. I just hope they're ready for my 28th birthday party at the end of april as I'm planning to do a Come Dine With Me style dinner for some friends and family. Fingers crossed.

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 14:52 »
I dont trust my smoking fingers to be nibly. I always snip with pair of scissors the plants I dont want (mind you... you should know what you are doing). which means that can go in the salad bowl straightaway.  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 15:35 »
prick them out so they are farther apart and move them onto a window cill, with some tinfoil folded up behind to reflect the light on to the roomside of them, makes all the fifference.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 15:40 »
I'd say only basil likes it warm, the others will like cooler conditions once they're potted on. Basils like to be a bit crowded so you can pot them on into a bigger pot with fresh compost but they won't mind being snug

Always read the packet instructions for information about what to do. It's all there  :D

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 39 queries.